In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Opinion of Value-Cabela's 54 Cal. Hawken Flint Lck

RHuntamerRHuntamer Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Does any have an opinion of value for a used and in good condition, Cabela's 54 Cal. Muzzle loader, Traditional Hawken Flintlock Rifle - Right Hand? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is one Brand New in Box the guy is trying to get $400 for.

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=138114947

Be interesting to see what it goes for, I doubt he will get that much, prices on the old time rifles are down these days.
  • SammowrySammowry Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one, though in .50 caliber. Purchased it as a kit from bargin cave in Cabela's Bargin Cave, Boise Idaho. Cost me a tich over $300 a year ago. I may have spend another $60 in finishing supplies, cold blueing rather than browning the barrel; sand paper, stain, etc. for finishing the stock. It's still "virgin" in the fact that I've not fired it.

A quick look at the price Cabela's web site is $439.00 plus a $19.99 shipping charge for 3 to 6 days delivery in the USA - for a brand new put together finished gun; either Flint OR percussion. (I wanted to try my hand at putting together a "kit" plus I wanted a Flint Lock. I'm glad I did, even though I've yet to shoot this gun. )

Opinion on the Cabela's gun? They are Investarms products. Investarms Cabela's is the same as Lyman - same company makes both guns. I also have a Lyman Deerstaker I bought it for a sweet price at a Pawn Shop. It is a good percussion lock straight shooter. The one thing I will say about MY gun is that it is heavy. The "european walnut" stock is HEAVY. This is not a negetive or against the gun. It should "soak up" some recoil. Most everything I've read about Lyman guns is GOOD. They are reliable guns. Also, Lyman/Investarms are STILL in business, and parts are available.

There are raging debates on a multitude of muzzleloading forums on "twists" of barrels, the bullets they shoot... the Cabela's will be a 1:48 twist, which is a compromise for patched ball or Saboted bullets. Again to the good, there are lots to choose from for that .54 caliber.

The price for a used but not abused gun - in flint lock yet, well... that's kinda up to you, and how bad you want it. A new one at Cabela's is $440 bucks today.

There's my 2 cents on the Cabela's Investarms Traditional Flint Lock Hawken rifle.

Hey - do us all a favor, and if you get it, or not - let us know... Okay?
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    $200 max

you will want to patch the barrel if the patch skips somewhere on the way down the barrel it has a bulge in it.Making it worth about 50buck as you will need to install a new barrel
    edited November -1
    Five days gone by, Zero bids.
    Starting to look like a $250 rifle, NIB.
    edited November -1
    Going...going...Not Gone.

Nobody is interested at $385.
    Sounds like a $250 rifle, Brand New in Box.