In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Muzzleloader Scope

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I am hunting deer in the farmlands of so. Jersey and my range will probably never be more than 100 yds with most shots at 35 - 75 yards. I need to know what scope to get. I am not sure of the power needed, etc. Probably mounting on an Omega or an Encore. Can you give me a hand?

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    is it legal to mount a scope to a ML there? it isnt here.

with a scope modern inlines are scary accurate, and can easily be shot out to 200yds. I would mont a 3x9 x whatever.
    what is you budget??
    keep in mind that a 50cal ML has quite the kick I would stay away from cheap recoil sensitive scopes.

FWIW leupolds rifleman scopes are great and run about $200 bucks. If I could put a scope on my ml I wouldn't hesitate to go with the leupold.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any good high powered rifle scope will work.
    I shoot the Savage muzzleloader which has pretty stout recoil.
    I use the Sightron S2 3-9. About 200 bucks.
    I like this scope very much.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope.

Everything else fades in comparison.

Especially for $129
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the help. Odawgp: It is legal for a scope on a ml here in Jersey. Can't use smokeless powder, but in-lines and scopes are legal. I was looking at $200 or less so these sound like great scopes to look at.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At those ranges open sights should be fine, if I were mounting a scope for those ranges, it would be a 4x fixed. I seen no reason to buy more scope than needed, and fixed magnification scopes are more durable as well.
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope.

Everything else fades in comparison.

Especially for $129

+1
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my deer at 85 yards with no scope on my Omega 50 ... but in low light it could be a handy thing to have.
  • wwg55wwg55 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    I got my deer at 85 yards with no scope on my Omega 50 ... but in low light it could be a handy thing to have.

I had to give up a shot at buck at twilight because I had open sights and forgot my binoculars. It had to be at least 3 points on a side and I could only, barely, see two. It was a 50 yard, easy shot. I am getting a scope for just such situations.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There you go, matchshot.
    In low light a scope is invaluable.