In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hawken rifle

Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
Im looking to buy a quality reproduction, percussion Hawken rifle.

Dose anyone know the best brand, with a low cost?

Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• jim central mojim central mo Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thompson center.accurate,almost indestructable and i believe they still have a lifetime warranty.i bought mine in 1972.so far they've replaced the barrel and the lock at no cost to me.
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    Do you know if you have to be the original owner to get the warranty?
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Frontiersman101
    Do you know if you have to be the original owner to get the warranty?

Nope. The warranty is good for whoever owns it; bought used, left in a will, found leaning against a fence post, it does not matter. Just be aware that the warranty is for mechanical or design failure. It doesn't cover lack of care items, such as rusting or corrosion.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had my Lyman Great Plains Rifle for for than 20 years now and have only good things to say about it. The double set trigger is great. The accuracy with round ball is not to be believed from the one in sixty inches bore. And it shoots full patch slugs with tennis ball accuracy at 100 yds too. Shoots best with black but pyrodex works well too.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a used rifle.
    The bottom of the market has dropped out on these great old rifles, everybody wants a super super magnum load inline.
    In the case of the TC Hawken, if you find a used one in good shape, but with a rusted bore, you could buy it for $100.
    Then buy a Green Mountain barrel. It is made to fit the TC Hawken.
    You can buy a barrel designed for round ball, or you can get a barrel designed for sabots and slugs. Costs around $180.
    Then you would have a brand new barrel that is more accurate than the barrel that came on the rifle when new.

The Lyman is also a great rifle, it is more authentic than the TC, that is, the Lyman looks more like what the mountain men would have carried than does the TC.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Buy a used rifle.
    The bottom of the market has dropped out on these great old rifles, everybody wants a super super magnum load inline.
    In the case of the TC Hawken, if you find a used one in good shape, but with a rusted bore, you could buy it for $100.
    Then buy a Green Mountain barrel. It is made to fit the TC Hawken.
    You can buy a barrel designed for round ball, or you can get a barrel designed for sabots and slugs. Costs around $180.
    Then you would have a brand new barrel that is more accurate than the barrel that came on the rifle when new.

The Lyman is also a great rifle, it is more authentic than the TC, that is, the Lyman looks more like what the mountain men would have carried than does the TC.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I do have one more question though.

Is there realy any difference in quality with having two barrel pins, than just one?
    edited November -1
    The TC has only one barrel pin and the quality is top-notch.
    Does the Lyman have 2 pins?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    The TC has only one barrel pin and the quality is top-notch.
    Does the Lyman have 2 pins?

The Great plains dose have two pins, as well as some CVAs. And what I have ben told, is that the barrel is to heavy to have just one pin. The ones with two are also more expensive.
    edited November -1
    TC costs more than CVA, any day of the week.
    Higher quality too.
  • D.DelozierD.Delozier Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TC is a fine choice for a Hawken, But then again so is the Lyman (Investarms Italy) or the Cabelas house brand,also an Investarms.CVA is a decent Hawkens as well but would not be my first choice.I've owned all of them and to me,as far as shopping for a used one goes the Investarms is the best bang for the buck,Quality is about neck in neck with the TC and your not paying the premeium for the Lyman logo but your getting what is basicly the same gun.As for the 2 wedge vs. 1 wedge I've only had 1 with 2 wedges it was a CVA never saw any advantage to it, in fact it is the least accurate of the bunch,but still very useable. IMHO look to Investarms for all around value.
  • glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had my TC Hawken for over 37 years and last year the main spring broke. I called TC and they said to send the whole assembly in, which I did. Within a week I had a whole new assembly at no cost. That is what I call excellent service and proved to me they mean lifetime warranty!! When it comes to black powder guns I am sticking with TC!!
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, But I found a guy who is going to build me a custom long rifle. I appreciate your advise.
    edited November -1
    Dose anyone know the best brand, with a low cost?

Evidently you weren't looking for a low cost rifle after all.
    edited November -1
    Well I was, but I decided if I saved a little money I could have a rifle that is hand built to my likeing. One that is different from any other.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used one on GB for $180 and the bore was pretty sad, but it cleaned up OK and shoots OK. It is the Italian made Investarms replica. If you can be sure of the bore, I think buying used is the way to go. Italian made muzzle loaders are very well made. I have a friend who bought a Pedersoli long gun a few years ago, and it is a beauty. Shoots great, too! Custom built sounds great but expensive!
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jim central mo
    thompson center.accurate,almost indestructable and i believe they still have a lifetime warranty.i bought mine in 1972.so far they've replaced the barrel and the lock at no cost to me.

Lyman, CVA, Traditions, T/C, Investarms (cabelas) ALL have a lifetime warranty

Best Bang for the buck would be the Cabelas same rifle as the Lyman but for $200 less