In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Pyrodex?

slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
I have seen discussion elsewhere about Pyrodex loosing its power after a few years and deteriorating. Picked up an OLD green cardbord can with metal ends and a metal push in cap a couple of years ago. I am guessing this was some of the first stuff out. Got out my Ruger Old Army that I have not shot yet and loaded it up with the old stuff. Went bang consistently and with a lot of kick when I filled the cylinders with 50 grains. I could find no fault with it. Any one else had a bad experience with the older Pyrodex?

Comments

• mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old saying "keep your powder dry" is true - properly kept powder, cool and dry, is good for many decades.
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still using the can of pyrodex I bought well over 10 years ago. Have not noticed any difference, always shoots fine. I have heard it had a shelf life but as long as it goes bang I will still use it. I bought a pound of fff black powder just to have in case. I shoot a ruger old army also, but didn't know you could get 50 grains in it. I usually shoot 35 in mine.