In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Cowboy 45 LC

fvpd201fvpd201 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
I am new to this shooting sport and am looking to purchase a hand gun.

I am also looking at a Cowboy Colt 45 LC, and am wondering if someone can tell me how it fits in the Colt line? ie. is it a 3rd generation colt or a specially manufactored hand gun ect ect.

I have no knowlege about the history of this model if some one would help fill me in.

Thank you in advance,

Mark J

Comments

• R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with it. I had 2 of them several years ago, I guess just because it said Colt...big mistake. They use a transfer bar safety, like a Ruger or Taurus, and just aren't that well made.

They were made by somebody else for Colt, but can't remember now who it was.

There are much better choices in pistols on the market than those. [;)]
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Vaquero's are great shooters right out of the box.... As are the Uberti's .......
  • challenger_ichallenger_i Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be brave! Get an 1858 Remington, and a cartridge conversion cylinder. Its neat, purty and will outshoot the 1873 Colt clones!
    And, you have the added advantage of shooting cap & ball, for a nice change.
  • R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Challenger, I'll agree with you up to a point. The guy I mentioned in the other post just bought a pair of 5 1/2" 58's from Taylors, with the R and D conversions. He also replaced the mainspring with a first gen Colt spring to lighten the hammer a bit.

I'll be the first to admit...they are sweeeeet. But, outshoot my Colts? Uh, close but no cigar. The mechanics of the guns aren't quite the same. His Remmies won't run as fast as the Colts. They're accurate as hell, but not as fast.

I've got my eye on a pair of blue 58's from Cabelas for about $209 each. All things in time! [;)]
  • challenger_ichallenger_i Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is a Cabella's 5 1/2". Best investment I ever made.