In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CVA Electra "yuppie Gun"

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
i just saw that Colorado will allow hunters to use this ABOMINATION.[}:)]

that is all we need is a bunch of yuppie jack arses running around with their electric gun. scaring off all the critters.[}:)]

I like my inline but, i have to draw the line.

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_electra.htm

Comments

• R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the only thing left after that thing, would be to let em use a Taser! [xx(]
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they might as well heard all them wild critters up into fenced fields shoot the ones they want to, and hand them out like food stamps.[}:)]
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This isn't the first electrical-ignition rifle. Remember the Remington? I think it was called the Etronix or something like that.
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    It's a matter of opinion I spoze.

I don't recall where but some areas allow .45-70 cartridge arms for primitive hunting seasons. Personally, I'd draw the line at exposed hammer percussion arms with loose powder, as even using pellets seems like a cheat to me.

I wonder what would happen if you were carrying one a them things loaded while wearing fuzzy bunny slippers and shuffling your feet on a * carpet?
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I wonder what would happen if you were carrying one a them things loaded while wearing fuzzy bunny slippers and shuffling your feet on a * carpet?

LOL, i don't know but i bet there would be one hell of a lawsuit, should anything happen while quote:wearing fuzzy bunny slippers and shuffling your feet on a * carpet
  • rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May as well hunt with a stun gun.
  • cascas Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's rather ironic that CVA, the company who's logo is a flint lock, no longer sells any side lock guns.

It may not be a total loss though. With their quality, I've always felt CVA was responsible for scaring away as many people from muzzle loading as they were for introducing it to,
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This muzzle loader doesn't shoot any farther or harder than what most of us are already using. What you choose to use in the field is a personal preference. Remember it the antigun folks used your line of thinking, and they do, we would all be hunting with spears or sling shots. If you want to hunt on a more primitive level by all means do so, I for one greatly encourage you and may occasionaly join you. If you follow the line of thinking of some on here this is what you would do. All bow hunters must use long bows, make their own arrows and chip their own arrow heads. All gun hunters must use thunderblast with a touch hole and make their own powder. I live in Indiana and I think it is ridicules that we can't use a cross bow during the entire bow season, not that I would, they shoot no farther or faster than a good compound. The bow hunters associations in several states fight against the use of cross bows. Because they don't want every tom dick and harry running through the woods scaring the deer. Yet cross bows existed before compounds, they have applied compound technology, so what! People with this line of thinking are only helping to decrease the number of hunters in the field, great of the actual days you go hunting but very bad for the long term of hunting. If you want your great grand kids to be able to hunt you need to rethink this.

There are those that will argue the other extreme i.e. then why don't we let everyone deer hunt with machine guns.

The CVA you are discussing will not shoot any further, make any one a better more lethal hunter, or take any less effort than what we already use. However if the technology gets someone interested who will vote with use when it comes to hunting issues than good. Maybe their kids and grand kids will vote our way as well.

What you are doing is cutting your own throats.

If you aren't using pure black powder and a touch hole you are being hipocritical.

Scout
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scout hit it on the head. Shooters are shooters, so far as I'm concerned. Hardcore traditionalists suggest banning (for the purposes of hunting their states' ML seasons, not as a matter on principle) anything that's not sufficiently "primitive" to suit them. This can include anything from ignition systems more modern than the flintlock, to scoped rifles, to projectiles other than patched roundballs. Advocates for "modern" muzzleloaders (most of whom, I tend to think, have got some vested interest in the makers of in-lines and relevant accessories expanding their market share) suggest that "primitive" systems -- sidelocks shooting roundballs -- are too unreliable, inaccurate, and underpowered to qualify as adequate hunting guns. Both points of view, IMHO, involve more "my way or the highway" ego-stroking, or motives harmful to the healthy future of the right to keep and bear arms, than good sense.

Succeed in banning the use of excessively efficient technology, and the average anti-gunner will run with that precedent and define as "too effective" any form of firearm known to man. Succeed in the sense of the other extreme, and before you know it your gun and your skill with it, both, will be subject to some legal efficiency test, probably contrived by anti-gun bureaucrats -- and effectively impossible for the average person to pass.

I firmly believe that the logic of anti-gunners will result in the banning of even smoothbore muskets, let alone any ML capable of accurate, reliable performance. This will take place pretty much after all "modern" firearms are regulated out of existence, but the time will come if we let it. The argument will go that kids in high school bands (traditionally some of the most picked-upon by their peers) might one day snap out, acquire eighteenth-century "assault weapons" (Brown Bess or Charleville muskets), and utilize their mastery of close-order marching drill to enter their school cafeterias, fire a concentrated volley, then launch a synchronized bayonet charge. I'm sure you all share my outrage that weapons designed for this purpose are available (without so much as an FFL being necessary!) to anyone with the mere seven or eight hundred dollars to buy one in new, lethal condition. However, if you don't, and you want your kids and grandkids to enjoy shooting and hunting (as well as be able to own guns for the purpose our founding fathers actually intended, which is to provide us the means to resist when our government goes effectively insane with its own power), it's counter-productive to behave as though hunting seasons and the guns used during those seasons are what matter most. Personally, I don't care what the guy in the next stand or blind is shooting, so long as he shoots it well and is dedicated to the idea that no one's taking his or my guns away.
  • mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not Legal in Florida
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is still a black powder rifle. If selling sidelock percussion and flinters was were the money was that is what they would be selling. Regardless of what purists and old farts think, the companies follow the demand. CVA is hardly a trendsetter.
  • Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not an old fart and the word pure has never been used in the same sentence with my name, but I have to side with them on this one. The Electra is the answer to a non existent problem and the door to a bunch of yuppies running around in the wood blasting whatever moves ( I had a goat last year that a "hunter wannabe" thought was a deer, key word here is had.) He had gone to Wallyworld an picked up an inline for $200, because he thought it would be "cool to go out and hunt Davy Crocket style" I think the electric "raygun" will breed more of that. Granted the result would have been the same no matter what gun he had , but the reason he bought it was because he thought it was easy to use and "it looked cool"
    I have hunted for 25+ years and 18 with muzzys and have never needed anything more than a .45 sidelock to bring home a deer. Yes I do own a couple of inlines and like them, but I have yet to take one to the woods. No need, They don't shoot any farther, or hit any harder than a well loaded primitive sidelock. Though I don't think bans are the answer, the spirit of muzzleloader hunting is all but gone. The whole idea was to have a season for guns that were less accurate, didn't shoot out to 500 yards and required more skill than a cartridge rifle. The result of these new high tech guns is states banning and limiting what can be used. What's the answer.. who knows, time will tell. Until then I will keep hunting with my old sidelock and keep a lookout for anyone with a fancy new gun.