In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who makes the best Rem 1858 revolver?

aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
I haven't kept up with the various replica revolvers being made today; I bought a Lyman replica Remington 1858 44 revolver in 1972 for $99 and it's time for a replacement. This gun was made in Italy and has digested contless 25lb bagfuls of 44 caliber buckshot on numerous forays into the woods. This gun is as accurate as any Colt SAA in my collection. After 37 years, the finish is worn, but other than the nipples and hand replaced, it's still all original and shoots great. I was wondering: who makes the best Remington 1858 replica today? I don't need target sights, stainless steel would be o.k. but optional and I don't mind paying top dollar for a good gun. I don't know who made the Lyman replicas, and I see them occasionally on GB. Any help will be appreciated. thanks

Comments

• muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read the post below on this page( Who makes the best bp revolver repro???) There are some interesting opinions on this topic.
  • CaptainCrossmanCaptainCrossman Member Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a 58 Rem Navy Arms brand new kit gun from Kmart in 1981, for $87- it's still as tight as when new, barely a few thou clearance between cylinder and barrel forcing cone. Eats up full cylinders of pyrodex and spits them out, kicks like a 357 mag, doesn't even phase the gun, never jams, the spent caps fall neatly to the right side when cocked- I did put in new Uncle Mike's stainless nipples back in the day. If you can find a vintage Navy Arms 58, buy it. You won't regret it.

to be honest, I'm thinking the vintage older repros had an average higher quality and more consistent than the new ones. Today at gun show I saw a vintage 58 Rem stainless repro in case w/accessories for $500, if I was in the market for one, I'd get that, rather than a new one from Pietta or Uberti. Stainless is stronger than forged steel and more resistant to blackpowder.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Euroarms 1858 that is sold by S&S Firearms is a high quality repro.
  • f171f171 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a cowboy action shooter. Amoung others, I use a matched set of .44 cal. Pietta 1858 4 1/2" revolvers. They are a very reliable medium priced replica. If you want to pay a bit more Uberti also makes a very nice replica. I also have a matched set of Pietta 1851 .36 cal Replicas.
    f171