In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need advice : Best 357 mag Lever Action

clownboyclownboy Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
I have been looking these over for awhile and am leaning towards the Marlin 1894CSS. Since I never handled one I thought I should ask the experts here.

My desire is to get a very nice looking, best shooting, and reliable lever action. I have opted to go with the 357 Mag because I could also shoot 38's and am already set up to reload them.

Can those with knowledge about them direct me in the type of rifle I am looking for? Maybe add some pro's and cons for me to think about. And maybe even tell me how accurate these might be?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Comments

• 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Marlin 1894 is a great rifle, tried and true. You can expect better than 2" groups at 50 yards. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
  • clownboyclownboy Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help there.
    I think I might just go with that model. Now just got to decide on the Stainless or Blued. HA!

Brad
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    marlin is good but i would really like an 1873 clone in 357
    edited November -1
    You can't shoot .357's in a '73 clone. The toggle action is just for low pressure cartridges. That's why the 73's and 66's are only made in 38 Special. The earliest Winchester that handles the .357 is model 92 clones.
  • transplantguytransplantguy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you check GB's listings and manufacturer's info, you'll find that most 1873 & '66 clones are designed for 357s. Some don't function well with 38s due to the difference in length. I checked out '73s recently, looking for a cowboy gun, but decided on a '92 from EMF as a lot of CAS guys told me they'll feed either 357 or 38 fairly well, and I'd prefer 38s for a milder kick. The price difference was also a factor in swaying me to the '92, as it was less than $600 from EMF and the others were $1000 plus.

The original '66 & '73 guns may have been stressed a bit under hot loads, but of course the metallurgy has come a long way since then.

The Marlin is a great gun either way, and a buddy shoots one in CAS. I hear it's not the fastest, but then we're not the Wild Bunch either.

I will admit a lot of my choice was based on my preference for the '92 and 94' Winchester styles.

I've found my EMF Hartford Sho
    edited November -1
    ...EMF Short Rifle in 357 is a lot more accurate than my eye are these days.

Sorry about the break!
    edited November -1
    I stand corrected. I haven't looked at these since 1999, and at the time they were only offered in 38 special. Sorry.
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting mostly 38s in my EMF, but I've heard that in some rifles 357s work better (if rated for them, of course), as the gun is setup more for the longer 357 case. I haven't tried 357s in the EMF yet, as I'm dealing with a shoulder injury right now that makes it painful to even lift a long gun, let alone take the recoil.

I did notice a couple of months ago a fellow had a Chaparral levergun on GB, in 357, and he did state not to use 38s in it as they wouldn't function properly. I was going to buy a Chappie, but read so many negative things about 'em that I gave up and bought the EMF.
  • kspairkspair Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning B-92 if you can find one.