In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

question

jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
anybody here form springfield mo? i am trying to find a living history group that portrays the longhunter era, if anybody knows of one in the area please let me know

Comments

• jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
    edited November -1
    how's this priced and what should be shot in it as far as hunting or target shooting thanks for your help http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=67873516
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    It looks as if there is a lot of rust, therefore I would be leery. If there is that much on the outside, there is probably more inside. For a gun with that much rust, I wouldn't go more than $50.
    If you can find a good one like that it would do great for hunting, target shooting, and just plain plinking.
    If you want to have some fun even before the shooting, try to find one of the build-your-own kits. That way you can finish the wood and the barrel to your liking.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well you missed your chance. A 24 hour auction, I never saw one of those before.
    Like handgunhtr said, if the guy didn't clean the hammer after firing, he probably didn't clean the bore. Chipped/ruined stock. Not worth bothering about.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I think that was the CVA "kit gun" that someone put together. They either did a bad job of assembling it, taking care of it or both. I'd pass. [xx(]
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's back on the block ... but I agree it looks not to be in very good shape ... price is OK, though!
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    DGW sells a Hawkin .50 kit for $305.
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_162_192&products_id=3459&osCsid=641fe03738185b1c9342414267b3f99e
    The stock is in the rough but not broken. The buttplate is in the rough but not bent. Furniture is new with no broken screw heads and I'm pretty sure there will be no rust on anything.
    If the barrel and the lock are good then the gun you are asking about is probably worth $100.00 as a parts piece. From the condition of the rest of it, I would give that a 50/50 shot.
    So I'll have to +1 on HandgunHTR52's post, he gave you some really good advice.
    However, if you just want to burn some black powder and don't want to spend a lot of money to find out whether you like it or not, you could probably run some lead balls through it.
    My 2 cents, hope it helps.
  • kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Owned one exactly like that...maybe 20-25 years ago...and it was a pretty good shooter. The "Buy Now" price seems to me a bit on the high side, but piece looks as if it's probably "restorable" with a little elbow grease...so long as the bore isn't pitted too badly.

Bill