In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

light coach gun loads

longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend is going start his grandson to cowboy action shoots. He is a little relucktant on the recoil of a shotgun. Want to makeup some loads in a 12ga that won't knock him on his behind but still hit the targets hard enough. Any help?

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Standard lowbase trap loads should do it, if your rolling your own try 19.2grs Red Dot with Win AA wads and 1 1/8 of bigger shot, like #4. Should do the trick without much recoil.
    W.D.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You cant shoot no. 4 shot at cas shoots,per the rule book.
    back when I reloaded shot shells,green dot loads always felt real mild to my shoulder.I"d alos use no. 8,or even no.9 shot,at cas distances these shot sizes will do the job,most times,and gives a few more bb's for that 'golden bb'hit/near miss.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I hate it when I'm wrong, we used to use bigger shot when SAS first started, I think[:o)]. As stated #8 is easy to find and will work.
    W.D.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A trap load with 2 3/4 dram equivilent, 1 oz. No.8 (or 7 1/2) shot is about as light as it gets. Many women who trap shoot pop off 100 to 200 rounds in registered shooting.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started playing with some different loads. 16 gr of clays powder & 1\2 oz of 7 1\2. no kick but not enough to knock down the target. Eventually ended up with the same amount of powder & 3\4 oz of shot. Very manageble recoil & still knockdown power.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just make sure it will knock down the knock downs[:D]

ive seen at shoots where some of the lower powered shells take up to 6 shots before she managed to knock it down, it was at an odd angle though.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had my target set with fairly good forward pressure & it knocked it over. Tried it 3 times with the same load, & it worked.
  • darksiderdarksider Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    been shooting for about 15yrs and the load I use is 17.9clays with a 12so wad and 7/8oz 0f 6-8 shot whatever I have never had a target not fall that I hit John T Henry SASS life 7317