In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paper cartridges

bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yes I have searched the forum and found posts for pistol cartridge. I just bought a .54cal sharps percussion breech loader. I would like to know what is the best paper to use for making the cartridges.

Thanks

Comments

• bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New to cap and ball revolvers. Have been doing some research and I want to look into making paper cartridges instead of loading each individual chamber with powder,wads and lead.Can anyone on this board give me some hints on the best way to making a paper cartridge for my cap and ball revolver?

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long cigarette paper works good.
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a post on a lever gun site showing how I made paper cartridges for my 1851 navy using cigarette papers, then put the post here on gunbroker. For your sharps with its longer cartridge I dont think even the long cigarette paper would be big enough (it barely was big enough for the navy cartridge). And if you try to glue 2 together the seam remaining probably would not burn up all the way either, perhaps leaving a smoldering ember in the chamber....NOT GOOD!!!. Nitrated paper is what is needed. This involves soaking thin paper in a nitrate solution, the thinnest paper you can find. I think Dixie gunworks sells (or used to sell) 8 X 11 sheets of nitrated paper just for this, but I have not gone thru one of their catalogs in years. You may have to nitrate your own, which i never tried. I would call Dixie and speak to someone of authority there, based on my dealings with them several years ago they really are old gun enthusiasts and my hunch is they would either have the paper available or be able to tell you how to make it.
  • Dana HaymanDana Hayman Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I shoot 63 Shiloh Sharps 54 Cal. This is what works for me. Paper is Newsprint, I cut in about 3 1/2 x 3 1/4. no nitrate, no difference that I see, I tried it. Bullet is Brooks ringtail. I just roll the paper into cylinder, ( wooden dowel with glue stick ) when dry glue paper onto bullet let dry, fill with 60 grains FFg. fold over end like christmas present and glue with white glue. Here's the trick, when you seat the cartridge into the rifle, I use a dowel with a small nail in the end, this seats the bullet and puts a small hole into the end of the paper cartridge. I have not had a misfire doing it this way. Don't worry about how far away the bullet is away form the nipple, it will fire. Hope this helps.

Dana
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dixie has a paper cartridge 'Kit' includes precut nitrated papers, glue stick, funnel, and dowell to roll them on, along with complete instructions. It's a little pricey; but it'll get you all you need.
    KA0700 Sharps Combustible Cartridge Kit
  • Dana HaymanDana Hayman Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shiloh Sharps has a Forum that is only for 63 paper patch shooters, go to Shiloh Sharps rifles, than under Forums go to 63, allot of info.