In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BP Barrel question

idaho cowboyidaho cowboy Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
Who makes a quality custom muzzle loading barrel? Seems that it is awful hard to find a really good production barrel now days. I am looking for a .54 cal to use on a hunting rifle shooting slugs in the 450 to 510 grain range and I want it to shoot! not just throw lead at the target. Thanks.

Comments

• HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Look into Green Mountain Barrels. They make some good ones.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is right.
    The only fast twist barrel blank I see from Green Mountain is in .50 caliber.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=FastTwistBarrelBlanks

They do have replacement barrels for the TC Hawken, and other make Hawkens, in .54 with the fast twist.

They make great barrels.
  • raingaugeraingauge Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer Getz and Colerain barrels, I think both are still in production

www.colerainbarrel.com

The old Sharon barrels shoot well, if you can find one.
    Some of the manufacturers tout the round bottom rifling as easier to clean, etc, I have not noticed it to be so, I have found good accuracy with square bottom and round bottom rifling.
    Both Getz and Cloerain make swamped, or tapered, barrels, just the ticket when you start getting over 40 inches in length.
    I hope this helps a little
    Lafe
  • Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the log cabin shop www.logcabinshop.com and track of the wolf www.trackofthewolf.com both have a great selection of "off the shelf" barrels and custom bores and twists also.
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzleloader Builder's Supply offers the services of what they describe as a name barrel maker, building ML rifles barrels to custom order, including the barrel length, caliber, twist, and configuration (i.e. octagon, swamped, octagon-to-round) of the buyer's choice. I've never ordered a barrel of this kind from them or known of anyone who has, but the prices listed in their second-to-most-recent catalog were just slightly higher than standard off-the-shelf barrels of like design. I've never been disappointed by MBS merchandise.

Track Of The Wolf also sells what they describe as fast-twist, large caliber barrels, with shallow-groove rifling for heavy bullets. The .54 caliber is rifled 1-48, which seems like it might be a mite slow for the longer bullets -- but I'm a roundball shooter so I can't say with any authority.

Swamped barrels by Colerain, Getz, and others are, so far as I know, all rifled with slow twists for roundball. Extremely high quality but probably not right for the purpose you have in mind.