In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lyman 55 power measure question

slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
I want to remove the plastic hopper and replace it with a brass one to use with blackpowder. How do I remove the plastic one without breaking it? It turns but is apparently not threaded in. How is it removed?

Comments

• cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The newer ones are threaded. Just pull out as you unscrew it. If it's old, it may be a press fit.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is definately not threaded. How do I get it off?
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may have to cut it off at the metal joint and use a dremel tool and grind out the remaining plastic. I am not convinced that it is necessary to use a copper tube for black powder. I have used my plastic tube measure for years with BP. If you are worried about static electricity, wipe the inside of the tube down with a cloths dryer softner sheet periodically.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have also used my #55 with the plastic hopper for BP for many years. You could run a ground wire from the cast iron body to a grounded source, for added safety. The dryer sheet idea is a good one too. I also don't wear socks when I'm reloading BP, go barefoot. Do the same thing when I'm doing internal work on computers.
    edited November -1
    I have seen this subject hashed to death on several fourms. The brass hopper is definately safe with the black powder. I don't know if there has ever been a documented case of a problem with the plastic hopper. I know a lot of people have used the plastic hopper with black powder with no problems.
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    It is definately not threaded. How do I get it off?

Just twist (unscrew) and lift at the same time; it's only in the base a little way. I replaced my plastic hopper several years ago, even though I wasn't really convinced it was necessary. Got a brass tube that was a snug press fit and it has never come loose. If it did, I would drill and tap a couple of holes in the base and use set screws to retain it.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input gentleman, I will give it a try on my next garage session.