In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Triple Seven question

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I got some on close out at Walmart....15 bucks a jug. [:D]

I shoot a ENCORE .45 caliber In-line.

Do I use the 777 just like pryodex on a volume basis? I load 100 grain BP equalivent of pryodex and am happy with the performance.

Will the 777 perform better than pryodex?

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like triple 7 pellets for my Omega 50. But for loose powder I like Pyrodex better and use it most of the time for target shooting. Not sure why ... probably I should work up better loads for both. They both work well.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes 777 does perform better than Pyrodex. Triple 7 is 15 per cent more powerful than Pyrodex.
    I would suggest that you use the Winchester 777 primers. You might get the dreaded 777 "crud ring" if you don't.
    edited November -1
    Yo Allen

By the dreaded 777 "crud ring" do you mean the stuff that is hard to clean out of the barrell that even locks up the jag in the barrel requiring you to pull the breech plug and clean it out with a solvent and a brush?

I was wondering why that happens. What is the deal with the primers that you mention?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes andersk you are describing the 777 crud ring. Does it form just above where the bullet sets in the barrel?
    The Winchester 777 primers are less powerful than normal 209 primers. They are especially designed to reduce/eliminate the dreaded crud ring.
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another major advantage of using the Winchester 777/209, and Remingtons new reduced power Kleen Bore primers is "regular power" 209's having more power, have a tendency upon ignition to nudge the pellet/bullet load ahead of the burn rate.

Also called 'a jump', it has a negative effect on consistant burn rate, and flame front (flame propigation) causing inconsistant to poor accuracy.

With loose powder it will literally burn-push a flame thru the powder. How the powder is packed/compressed in the breech, and how the bullet/patch-ball fits is another influence. Since it's hard to .....keep everything exactly the same all the time....accuracy is negatively influenced.

Part of the [:)] of shooting, and sometimes the [:(] is trying different things different ways. Well, that's what I keep telling myself.

I'll make this personal statement and leave it alone for what it's worth.
    "In today's muzzle loading market place, I find many manufacturers advertisements, and marketing claims to be unsportsman like, and simply shameful".

Also less mercuric gas is released, that's important to my sinuses, lungs, and blood.
    edited November -1
    Where do you get the Winchester 777 primers? Seems like all they have around here is the same old 209's.
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be wherever muzzleloaders, or reloading supplies are sold.
    If you can't find them. I have bought alot....too many, and since I've been focusing on testing more loose types of powder, I'll send you some to play with.
  • mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    weigh your 777 on a powder scale, work up your load at the range. I shoot 777 FFFg in a Knight revolution with their power stem breech plug and Federal 209 primers. Very little crud in my gun after shooting with 777. By the way, I always weigh my charges on a Lee safety scale and hunt with 90 grains weighed 777 FFFg and target shoot with 70 grains weighed
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mwd571 Posted - 01/12/2007 : 1:54:14 PM
    weigh your 777 on a powder scale, work up your load at the range. I shoot 777 FFFg in a Knight revolution with their power stem breech plug and Federal 209 primers. Very little crud in my gun after shooting with 777. By the way, I always weigh my charges on a Lee safety scale and hunt with 90 grains weighed 777 FFFg and target shoot with 70 grains weighed
    I just Purchased a digital powder scale (MidwayUSA 34.00) I used to use the old school balances scale and never liked having to carfully haul it around. I was always afraid I was going to jar it to hard and throw it all outa wak.
  • mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After I weigh the 777 charge I dump it into a volume measure, I use the same one , and see where the 90 grain weight comes on my measure. For the one I use it is just a little above 120 grain and then when you go into the field if you have to reload your speed loaders you don't need the powder scale just use the volume measure that has been preset to the weighed charge you are shooting