In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackmag powder

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
http://www.magkor.com/index.html

Anyone.. seen? used? tried? talked about before.

I want the skinny...What is it? why is it supposably cleaner than 777.. OR is it???? these are the things I would like to know

Comments

• Options
    ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard that it is an excellent powder. It is supposed to be as powerful as 777 and lack the crud ring. I personally do not have a crud ring issue with my encore, but have talked to people that do.

Supposed to be a very consistant, clean burning powder.

The only drawback that I have heard it that it is nearly impossible to find. They do not sell it to other stores for resale, only direct to the public.

So, if I can't find it to buy it, I can't try it. Sure would like to give it a try though.
    Hank
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I havnt seen it too many places either. @Cabelas in Utah when i head out to see the folks and sportsmens Warehouse in GJ,COL and 3inUT but only in like a 2-3lb container but not on the online store. And nobody i have talked to there uses it everyone, myself included use 777. I have the crude ring in my Encore but really dont care, use to use pyrodex and that was real messy????
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Blackmag3 powder.
    It was advertised by magkor as "non corrosive." I noticed that Cabelas did not call it "non corrosive."
    I bought a pound from Cabelas, to try in my cap and ball revolvers. By the time I paid hazmat fee, shipping, it was around fifty bucks.
    I liked the powder. It was a little more powerful than black powder. It was accurate.
    I did the corrosion test. I fired one cylinder and let the gun set up for a week. Thank God, I did run a patch down the barrel. I did not clean the cylinder.
    In a week the cylinder and hammer were covered with red rust. So, I know why Cabelas did not call it "non corrosive."
    A few months after that, Cabelas quit selling Blackmag3.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ewwwwwwu, So much for being cleaner than 777. i guess i will hang that one up and stick with 777. sounds like that stuff is pyrodex P in a New package.
  • Options
    mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot up a pound of the BlackMag3 and it is very good. I got it from the guys who own the company here in Florida. It is everything Randy Wakman said, It is the best, I weigh all my charges and I can tell you that 90grains by weight of BlackMag3 is more energenic than 90 grains weighed 777 FFFg which is what I shoot and hunt. As far as cleaner why would you not clean your rifle after a session at the range?

This right now is as close to smokeless powder you can get till the other new "White Hot" makes it's appearance in the market place. The makers of 777 are spending a lot of money to keep BlackMag 3 out of retail outlets. The amount of smoke is less, and it really isn't smoke per say, it is water vapor. You can shoot all day long without having to patch I shot 62 times at the range without patching between shots. Try that with 777.

Here are a couple of links to look at for info for the stuff
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/black_mag3.htm
    http://www.mdm-muzzleloaders.com/index.html

Makes for interesting reading
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been working up loads with 777, I had to go back to open sight this yr to hunt in Colorado. I have found 80grs works really good with the t/c maxi hunters. they are easier to load than I though and the accuracy is awesome. but your right I patch between every shot to make every shot as close to the same as possible.
    Black Mag is hard to find anywhere and too expensive to buy online and pay the Hazmat fee's