In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

50 cal hawkin

REX6666REX6666 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
i have a thompson center hawkin that i built in 80-81 have never fired it, can some one tell me where to start working on a load.

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same rifle, quite a good rifle it is.
    Use the .490 patched round ball and 80 grains of ffg Goex black powder.
    I use pillow ticking and Old Zip patch grease from Dixie for the patch and lube.
  • REX6666REX6666 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info.
    my friend that lives in N.M. wants me to come out in sept. and go elk hunting with black powder, will this load work
    edited November -1
    Elk were exterminated from Kentucky in the early 1800s with the patched round ball. No doubt, you can kill an elk with the .50 round ball.
    But there are better choices. I would use an elongated slug.
    Check with these guys, they will set you up with an elongated slug that will work quite well on elk.

http://www.prbullets.com/

I imagine you would still use 80 to 90 grains of powder. Try some different charges and see what works best.
    Don't let anyone talk you into using the 245 gr or 290 gr Powerbelt on elk.
    edited November -1
    Is their a problem with the powerbilt bullets or just those two
    edited November -1
    just ran into this topic, under" opinons " maybe the PB has a problem.
    i don't know but this elk hunt(if i draw) is not something i want to take chances with, do you have any suggestions on sabots
    edited November -1
    I have killed 7 deer and 6 wild boar with the .50 patched round ball. I have not been elk hunting, but I have read up on it quite a bit.
    Here is a c&p from another forum from a guy who has killed elk:

"Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading. I cant help you with a load for your X-150, but do yourself a BIG favor and do some research (not on the PowerBelt site either) on the 295 gr PowerBelt and hunting big game. If it is elk that you will be pursuing, IMHO that is one of the worst choices of projectiles. Some penetrate, some don't, I have personally witnessed one that didn't at just 28 yards. This shot was made by my hunting buddy, the bullet failed to penetrate into the boiler-room. I made the same shot with a 430 grain White Super Slug at 46 yards, bull traveled 56 yards and was dead on arrival. If you are elk hunting in Colorado, some very good bullets are all lead conicals made by No Excuses or Bullshop. I use 80 grains of 777 FFFG for powder under the 430 gr White or either 460 gr No Excuses or Bullshop. All these will fall into the legal limit of no longer than twice the diameter, the 460's measure .970".

Make sure to read your owners manual for maximum loads, both powder and bullet. You will have a limit for conical weight and powder charge.

The PowerBelt is the most loved/hated projectile in muzzleloading. I personally know too many people with horror stories, myself included."

So with the Powerbelt, you can go with those that love them and take your chances, or you can go with those who have disastrous results elk hunting with them, and be safe.
    The all lead conicals from prbullet, as well as these mentioned by this guy, generally do not take sabots, although some of prbullets lead conicals do use sabots.
    I would just check with these manufacturers and see what they recommend. Tell them what rifle you have and what you have in mind. prbullets has a great web site, lots of testimonials. You probably can make your decision just from reading the testimonials on the prbullet web site. It is important to tell the slug maker that you are shooting a TC Hawken because most of the users of these slugs are shooting inlines, which have a faster rate of twist than your rifle.
    Good luck.
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot this is what i was hearing on the other channel,

i will do some research
    edited November -1
    talked to my friend in N.M. he has 50cal. Hawkin he uses the 285gr. Buffalo bullets with 100gr black powder, killed bull elk with it last yr. bull ran about 50 yds found bullet on off side under the skin
    said it was about the size of a quarter.
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you got your elk load. Good luck, I wish I could hunt elk, but the damn white men killed them all off in North Carolina.
    edited November -1
    i just finished my N.M. app. for OCT 6-10 , keeping my fingers X