In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Salute Cannons

gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
Anybody else here into them?
I have a pair that I built, one uses a fuse & the other a lock assembly that uses a #209 cap to set off the charge.
Both have a bore of 1-1/4 in and use two coffee scoops of FFFg Pyrodex and plenty of paper wadding. I've found that the tighter I pack the Pyroday the bigger the bang.
GH1[:)]

Comments

• martinicadetmartinicadet Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester 10ga which is very loud. I also built a civil war dictator 1" bore mortar and a modern looking mortar that shoots juice cans, it's a crowd pleaser. I would be interested in seeing photos of your 209 system. I have a 20mm cannon bbl for my next project. Don
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Winchester 10 gauge. Unbelieveable how loud that short barrel can be. We ended up loading our own 10 ga. shells with blackpowder just to keep the windows from shaking.
  • team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont make salute cannons but i do make golf ball mortar's..lost my cannon casting abilities a few years ago so now i make my toys on metal lathes and bridgports[:D]
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with a golf ball mortar. Unfortunately mine isn't quite large enough for a golf ball. What kind of range do you get out of it?
  • mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    would love to see some plans for a cannon....I would like to buy a black powder pistol is why I was looking on this forum but making my own cannon would be cool. Machinist here as well....any advice on amount of powder to use would be helpful....I'm black powder ingorant.....thanks
    edited November -1
    i run appro 120 grains of 3f and get a distance of 250-300 yards with a 45 degree angle.i run a heavy patch for compression but with a short tube length you do get a real nice muzzle flash that looks great at night.....,,,i just throw the steel on the lathe and face off bothe ends and clean up the sides..from there i run a 1/2 inch drill after using a center drill to locate the hole 1st...i go approx 6 inches deep for a powder chamber ..then step up the diameter of the drills till i can get a small dia boring bar to feed into the stock..i can email you a photo of my work if you drop me a line at orphanrebel@yahoo.com...once i get the bore done i turn the stock and do a step reduction on the rear..then i put it on the bridgeport with either a one inch hawger bit from the side or from the rear face i use a one inch ball end mill to cut the slot for the trunnion...use a 1 inch tool steel bar..weld on all touching parts and put in your touch hole and your good to go
    edited November -1
    So after all the machining is done, what size bore are we talking about?
    edited November -1
    depends on what you want to fly out as ammo...6 inch diameter stock i would not object to making the bore the size of a pop can diameter..jen..i sent u a pic tonight if you read this post..if anybody can post a pic for me i will send one off ..email me at orphanrebel@yahoo.com and i will forward it on...i mess up trying to post photo's[:(!][:D]
    edited November -1
    I didn't see the pic, where is it?
    edited November -1
    greg..send me an email at the listed email and i will send u back the photo
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by team roper ozzy
    greg..send me an email at the listed email and i will send u back the photo

I sent the pics 7:03 pm CST Thursday.