In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1863 Sharps replica bullet choice

diamondpetediamondpete Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
I have a 1863 Sharps replica in .54 caliber. I also have a Thompson renagade in .54 caliber. I have a bullet mode for the .54 caliber renagade that cast a 425gn grooved mini ball. My question is will this bullet be okay to shot in the 1863 Sharps and if so what type load should I use. This is the paper cartridge model. This may sound like a stupid question, but I'd have to move up ten steps to be considered an amatuer when it comes to BP shooting. Thanks for any assistance in this matter.

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't have good luck with hollow based bullets in my 1863 Sharps.
    My carbine does well with an old Dixie Gun Works one piece scissor moulded conical.
    The proper bullet has a reduced rear diameter on the last ring to permit tying on the paper cartridge.
  • diamondpetediamondpete Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response. I mislead you on the type bullet though. It was a Maxi ball with flat base that I shot in the Thompson Renegade. It has three grease groves and is pointed. I made them from old wheel weights and wanted to know if they would be okay to shot in the 1863 Sharps Replica?
  • 63sharps63sharps Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Taylor Arms from Winchester Va., they have a double cavity Sharps mold that fits RCBS handles that I have had great success with.
  • diamondpetediamondpete Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked Taylors on line web site and evidently they no longer carry the .54 mold. Midway has a couple single molds for the .54 but I am still trying to find what is the best type bullet, best weight and if making them with wheel weights is okay. Haven't shot the gun yet the first time and want to make sure I don't make it the last time also, if you know what I mean!!! Thanks for replying.
  • LenovoLenovo Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    People in the Northwest that have devoted a lot of time to there trails aren't going to say anything about them in a forum. Very secretive![:o)]
    comparatif simulation taux credit auto - Taux crAcdit auto. Comparatif des offres! Les meilleurs taux crAcdit auto sont sur le net !comparatif simulation taux credit auto