In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fouling

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I have a Lyman flintlock which for some reason will not allow a second loading a shot without cleaning the bore.

Also in the past I have removed some rust from the bore. Do not know what caused that.

Amy suggestions>

Sage 1

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I am getting getting really bad fouling in my Thompson and can't get more then one shot out without cleaning the barrel. When inquiring at my gunstore, they said to stop using the federal 209 primer and go with the T/C fusion primer. Same problem! I called Thompson and they said they had heard of that problem with triple seven and recommended Black Horn. I'm going to give that a try. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming you are using real black powder getting a second shot without cleaning is not unusual. I can get a second but not a third. What I do is soak one patch in the cheapest rubbing alcohol I can find and run it down the bore, turn it over and run it down the bore again. Then both sides of a dry patch and I'm ready to shoot. It's quick and cheap. I have only used alcohol for bore cleaning for more than 40 years and never a problem. I use it after the range session as well and then one lightly oiled patch before storing. Rifle groups great with a clean bore for every shot. If you were in a hurry to shoot you'd buy a semi-auto right?
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you may try to back off the load a bit 10-20 grains, too much powder can be almost as bad, not saying this will cure the problem, maybe slightly help, as in 2 shots instead of 1.
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is for this reason I gave up on black powder and started using Pyrodex. In my percussion rifle I could load MAYBE 2 shots, never 3. Switching to Pyrodex RS I have done over 30 straight w/o problems.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never had a rifle not load more than 30+ shots at a time. I would say that either you are patching to heavy, what caliber are you shooting versus diamater ball+patching thickness. Also if the barrel is not properly "seasoned" it could cause some trouble. Everyone has a therory on seasoning a barrel so I will leave it at that.

I've shot 50+ round matches with many different flinters and never had a loading problem.
    If none of this helps, I might need a little more info. Feel free to e-mail me.
    I've shot flinters and since 1982. Seen all and if not heard most.[:D]
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chief - you didn't specify powder type - 30+ shots with real black powder? Is that your claim?
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    Chief - you didn't specify powder type - 30+ shots with real black powder? Is that your claim?

3F Goex in .50 and .54 cal.
    Our gun club had a woodswalk where there would be at least 30 targets. Never once did I ever swab between any of the shots.
    edited November -1
    Wow!!! I once had to drive home with a stuck ball about 2/3 of the way down the barrel, trying black powder. This was to be the 3rd shot. Yep, drove 50 minutes to the range, took 2 shots, and had to drive back home. I used Goex FFg, 50 cal, green mountain barrel, either .490 or .495 balls and either .010 or .015" patches (I have all the combinations...cant remember after 15 years what i used then). Happened again the next time altho by using the roof of the range cover i was able to hammer the ball home so I could fire it out. (I know...I know....I wont do that again!!). Since then have switched to .495 and 0.010" or 0.015" patches and Pyrodex RS. Like I said....have done 30+ with this combo (bore butter patch lube). 15 years w/o problems.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I to have shot 30 plus (as many as 70 on occasion) rounds from a .54 Cal percussion Pedersoli Tryon Rifle without having to swab/clean/patch the barrel. Normal target loading is 60 gr ffg Goex/Swiss/Grafs (although for shot over 100yds, 80 grains are used), .535 Hornady swaged roundball and Ox Yoke lubed .010 patch that has been soaked in Hoppes #9 plus BP solvent so that the patch is damp, not wringing wet. Only thing that has ever been used to clean and lube the barel is the Hoppes #9 plus. Using this method, the last round loads as easily as the first.

One key to a clean bore is NOT using regular gun oil to lube the barrel after you've cleaned it. The heat from the burning BP causes the oil to form a sticky coating on the barrel wall. This a lesson I learned with my first percussion rifle, a .50 cal CVA Hawken. Using regular smokeless gun cleaning products, you couldn't load more than two rounds before you had to swab the bore. Once I learned the Hoppes #9 plus regimine, all my loading problems disappeared.

On a side note. The #9 plus swabbing of the bore during cleaning kept the bore free of any rust while the rifle sat unused hanging on the wall of my family room for 5 years. When I took it down to use in a match, the bore was rust free and I won the match - 20 shots without swabbing the bore.
    edited November -1
    I dont use regular smokeless cleaners in my BP firearms either, altho they do get a coat of oil before storage. Before shooting, I swab the oil out with an alcohol mop, then a few dry patches. If I dont I get exactly what you describe Ken, a black tar-like goo in the bore.