In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Signature series

reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
Can someone tell me about these Colts? Are they even Colts? reindeer

Comments

• ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. Colt does not recognize them as being Colts. Most collectors do not either. They were made between 1996 and 2002 using parts made in Italy and the US by a company licensed to use the Colt name.

This is different from the 2nd Gen models made between 1971 and 1982. 2nd Gens were made in Hartford & in NJ under the supervision and inspection of Colt; and were marketed, sold and shipped by Colt. They have Colt warranties and will letter the same as any Colt SAA.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This article will explain everything: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/cap_ball/

The Colt Blackpowder Arms Company (makers of the 3rd Generation "Signature Series") is now Henry Repeating Arms Company in Brooklyn, NY.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU CAN GET A LETTER FROM COLT ON THESE. THEY HAVE BECOME A COLLECTABLE IN THEIR OWN RIGHT. PRICES ARE LOWER THAN SECOND GENERATION GUNS. MY OPINION IS THAT THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL WELL MADE GUNS. I BOUGHT A COUPLE WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT. PRICES ARE A LOT MORE THAN I PAID FOR THEM. BOUGHT A COUPLE MORE SINCE THEN JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEAT GUNS. ONE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN USED MAKES A NEAT SHOOTER.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU CAN GET A LETTER FROM COLT ON THESE. THEY HAVE BECOME A COLLECTABLE IN THEIR OWN RIGHT. PRICES ARE LOWER THAN SECOND GENERATION GUNS. MY OPINION IS THAT THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL WELL MADE GUNS. I BOUGHT A COUPLE WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT. PRICES ARE A LOT MORE THAN I PAID FOR THEM. BOUGHT A COUPLE MORE SINCE THEN JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEAT GUNS. ONE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN USED MAKES A NEAT SHOOTER.

Your understanding is totally incorrect. The Signature Series revolvers were neither manufactured by nor inspected or warranted by Colt Firearms. They will NOT letter as the Second Generation models will.

Also, please do not post in all caps. It's considered to be shouting.
  • bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone interested in Percussion 2nd and 3rd Generation Colt revolvers need Dennis Russell's book, "Percussion Colt Revolvers-Collector's Handbook & Price Guide". This is the only accurate, indepth study of these revolvers.
    edited November -1
    I'll second what bprevolver said. Russel's book is a great 2nd gen reference. Two other must have books are Dennis Adler's 'Colt Blackpowder Reproductions and Replicas - A collectors and shooters guide'. It covers virtually all the replicas & has some fantastic pictures of limited edition and one of a kind guns; And Doc O'Meara's "Colt's Single Action Army Revolver - The legend, The Romance and The Rivals".

FM
  • reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, stop shouting up there! Well once again the ever intrepid cast and crew of this site have given their all and it is appreciated. I found an article on these Colt's and I am even as confused as before. It seems that an guy named Imperato from Jersey kept after Colt to keep its finger in the b/p pie and these guns were made by someone else though marketed under the Colt brand. Sounds like the Beretta Uberti's. Now I am wondering if I should leave it boxed and unshot or shoot it up. Thanks again guys. reindeer
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fire it up.
    Warning. When you shoot it it will smell like spaghetti sauce.
    edited November -1
    Reindeer,

There is a group of people out there that collect the Sig Series guns. There are also those that shoot them in SASS competition. They have appreciated in the last couple years; but there are some real deals on the auction sites at times. If you're looking for something to collect - have at it. If you're looking for something to shoot - they're good for that too. If you decide to collect them - you need to get hold of a copy of the "5th Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms" by Dennis Adler, as well as thes I previously mentioned.

Ken44-40
  • reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ken. I think I got a good deal and I intended to shoot it. I will keep the accessory package NIB, though. I was impressed to learn that these guns got the official nod from the N-SSA. That will provide a ready user market. I also am glad to hear that they shoot well.
    Thanks for your responses and to Allen, if my spaghetti sauce ever smells like rotten eggs, I will hang up my ladle. Thanks, to all (and the humor too). reindeer