In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Black Powder in a 303 Brit

challenger_ichallenger_i Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
Any one have a pet load for the 303, using black powder and a cast bullet? I have a pretty nice Martini, in .303, and I'd like to try a lower-energy load.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The simple way would be to fill the case up with black powder and compress it to where the base of the seated bullet will be. Then seat a cast bullet lubricated with SPG or other black powder specific lube down on the powder. If the base of the bullet is in the case neck, a cardboard wad between bullet and powder will help, but do not use one if it would be down in the shoulder or body of the case.

Or you could just look up some light smokeless and cast bullet loads in a Lyman manual.
  • longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some may have the advice to cram stuff and ram something but I have the impression of reloading that safety is first .With the right components you may get fair results or death. Please don't be foolish. I have reloaded in the .303 black and have used the Pryodex RS with very good results. First bullet Wight 150 gr .spitzer @.311 dia. spear bullets over
    70 grain of Pryodex RS and a heavy crimp on the bullet Good shooting
  • longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    U see we all make mistakes .The load given previously
    was for my .45-70 page was turned on . You can only get about 55 grains in the case and 50 grain is all need to shoot the 32 call pistol bullets. Try to use the pre -lubed cast alloy
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original loading of .303 British was 70 grains of HEAVILY compressed black powder and a 200 or 215 grain jacketed bullet for 1850 fps. The mild compression needed to take a casefull of powder down the neck far enough to seat a bullet is hardly a risky case of cram and ram. It will be a good deal lighter and slower load which is all to the good with a cast bullet.

Fakes like Pyrodex have to be managed differently from real black powder. I don't use them.
  • challenger_ichallenger_i Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geez, I didn't mean to start a ruckus!
    Thanks, for the info.
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Wasn't you starting anything.

Hawk knows what he's talking about.