In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making my own muzzle loader bullets 45cal

borderghostborderghost Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Wonder if anyone has a good location to get infor on casting bullets . I am having 3 cavity mould built for making a .451 smooth body bullet that will weigh bout 325 grns and bout .835 in length and a jig for making hollow points also, the hollow point jig is my own design and the mould maker thinks it will work fine , maybe better then having the hollow point in the mould. Will be using these inside sabots , any one have a good lead mixture out there , open to ideas [:)], and want a soft / medium hard bullet if possible , have lots of lead and linotype and trying to get my hands on pure tin , so far looks like Mid South for the tin.

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can buy a fancy melting pot or just use a small cast iron pot, insert lead, put on stove melt,(run fan on high, ignore wife) pour in mold, may take a few pours till mold gets hot enough, drop bullets out. repeat. when melting the lead put a drop of vegetable oil in melted lead this will bring the impurities to the top, skim them off and throw it away. this step may not be neccesary since you are using the plastic sabots. I would use the softest lead possible since you are using the sabots, they will expand more in the animal. It can get a lot more complicated than this, but this is the basics.