In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Quick draw

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
Is Quick Draw part of the cowboy action shooting? I saw some videos on it and it looks like it would be really fun to learn and practice. Any advice on how to get into this?

P.S. I'm assuming my 44 magnum with 7 1/4 inch barrel probably isn't the best quick draw weapon.

Comments

• Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No,it is it's own sport entirely.No quickdraw allowed in cowboy action mainly because we use real ammo,not blanks or wax bullets like the fast draw crowd does.
    If you google world fast draw association,you'll find their homepage and bulletin boards.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mort4570
    No,it is it's own sport entirely.No quickdraw allowed in cowboy action mainly because we use real ammo,not blanks or wax bullets like the fast draw crowd does.
    If you google world fast draw association,you'll find their homepage and bulletin boards.

Thank you.
  • KoryKory Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by callcameron
    Is Quick Draw part of the cowboy action shooting? I saw some videos on it and it looks like it would be really fun to learn and practice. Any advice on how to get into this?

Don't shoot your foot!
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    I might be able to help! I too am trying to get into the sport. The true name is fast draw(not Quick draw). It is said both ways, but you will get more info on the web with fast draw. Fist of all as far as I know there are two fast draw organizations, cowboy fast draw and open class. Although Cowboy fast draw you must whear 1800's type clothing. You should look up Bob Munden! He has 18 world records for this sport, and is truly amazing. Never practice with a stock gun, it will break it! This can only be done with a Colt or Ruger. You need a modifide gun for this sport, Bob Munden can not only modify your gun, but he was cowboy action shooting first gunsmith. If you have any more questions, just ask. If I don't know the answer I can find it.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Frontiersman101
    I might be able to help! I too am trying to get into the sport. The true name is fast draw(not Quick draw). It is said both ways, but you will get more info on the web with fast draw. Fist of all as far as I know there are two fast draw organizations, cowboy fast draw and open class. Although Cowboy fast draw you must whear 1800's type clothing. You should look up Bob Munden! He has 18 world records for this sport, and is truly amazing. Never practice with a stock gun, it will break it! This can only be done with a Colt or Ruger. You need a modifide gun for this sport, Bob Munden can not only modify your gun, but he was cowboy action shooting first gunsmith. If you have any more questions, just ask. If I don't know the answer I can find it.

He was the one in the video that I saw. Wouldn't want to meet HIM in a dark ally. Did you see the video of him shooting two balloons about 5 feet apart? They looked like they popped at the same time.
  • Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    quote:Originally posted by Frontiersman101

He was the one in the video that I saw. Wouldn't want to meet HIM in a dark ally. Did you see the video of him shooting two balloons about 5 feet apart? They looked like they popped at the same time.

Not only that, but I saw him live at the End Of The Trail cowboy shoot. I got to talk to him.