In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question for Cowboy shooters

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
Is a Winchester model 94 AE in 45colt legal in a match under SASS rules. Note AE. Thanks!

Comments

• knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ummm......good question. On the one hand it does cover a lot of the requirements: lever action and cowboy round. However it is a newer production version of the 1892 and it has the angle eject which is not historically accurate to that time. With a Marlin, it is a side ejector like your 94. I guess your best bet is to ask some of the members of the group that you shoot with. They may not care because of how close everything is on the gun. I even looked at the rule book and could not find anything to state that this gun could not be used. Personally, unless there is something that I am not thinking of I would allow it. Maybe someone else can back me up or I could be wrong
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Knight. Problem is I don't shoot Cowboy. I have one for sale and the buyer (maybe) wants to know beforehand.
  • ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes,
    It is. I don't shoot Winchesters, I shoot Marlins. In general, you will see allot of Marlin 94s, Winchester 92s, 73s and 66s. The gun doesn't necessarliy have to be an exact copy of the model available way back then. The other thing is that local clubs, while they follow SASS rules, tend to relax the rules on some of the allowed guns. They do this because it can be hard and expensive to get together four guns and they want people to come on out. Some clubs are very restrictive. Only way to know is to go to a shoot and ask.
    Hank
  • R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hank beat me to it, but yes they're legal...I use one myself.

Actually I use my Henry as a main match rifle, the Winnie is just a back-up. It's probably going up for sale soon, to help finance a 73!
  • BlackyBlacky Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Blackie - I think! How can they take something so fun and make so many rules? It's like baseball for kids then the parents get involved! It does seem to me now that I have read it that the rifle is NOT legal as it is not completly of the type and style from the time period window specified. Maybe it would fly in a local match but not at "End of Trail"
  • louiscainlouiscain Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I BOUGHT A HENRY BIG BOY 45LC MODEL HOO6C IS MINE,OR ARE THE OTHER VERSIONS OF THE HENRY BETTER?
  • ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Louis,
    You will find that answer out as soon as you go to a match and have to do a reload on the clock.

You will come to this realization as you are pulling that looooooong tube out the front of that sucker, you will find that you are sucking wind behind the Marlin 94s and Winchester shooters.

To each his or her own, but if you want to go fast and be competitive, get a Marlin or a 66/73.

Hank
  • R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe a clarification is in order. You do in fact have a rifle made by Henry Repeating Arms, therefore, yeah...it's a Henry. Amongst the cowboy shooters, when you refer to a Henry, it's the model 1860 Henry.

It gets it's name from the man who designed it for Winchester, B.Tyler Henry.

Now you wanna talk about doing a tricky speed reload on the clock with an 1860 style Henry, I'll be glad to show ya! [:D]