In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loose primer fit on nipples

Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
Have a Pietta 1858 Rem New Army .44 cal- any make of primer is a loose fit on the nipples- when firing, they fall off and jamb into the frame- so I have just been priming the cylinders one at a time-any other sized nipples/primers available-??

Comments

• PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 1858 Remington replica was the same. Info that came with the revolver stated to use No. 11 caps. Old timer at the gun shop said to use No. 10's. Since the instructions said No. 11's, I thought the old-timer was wrong. The No. 11's mostly fell off when the gun was fired. I switched to No. 10 caps, which fit on the nipple with a snug push, and no more loose cap problems.
  • 220combat220combat Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give the primers a little pinch before you put them on the nipple. When all used, get 10's.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    revolvers use 10's, rifles use 11's
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    My Pietta Rem 1858 uses #11 caps. But then again, I think the nipples may be messed up because a couple of them are kinda stubborn.
  • Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks a bunch gang- I have beaucoup No. 11- what they recommended in the handbook- I won this BP revolver at a Deer Fund Banquet- didn't need to register it (but I did anyway as I have a CCW)- hard to imagine some "gang-banger" reloading in a 7-11 shoot out- my first and only BP weapon. A pal gave me a few No. 10's to try out- so I'll do that- also heard that the Uncle Mike's style nipples tend to hold the caps in place better when shooting. I use .454 ball, patched wads, and 22 grains of FFFG- and the recoil is mild- and it is fairly accurate- two handed hold- I can keep five in a 3 lb. sized coffe can lid at 25 yards- well most of the time. I like the Remington design with the removable cylinder- and to me, the top strap frame seems a bit stronger than the Colt design- but one day at the gun range- I saw a serious BP guy with a 1851 Colt in .36 Cal (a replica) put 5 balls into a Frisbee (used for a target- not thrown like a skeet target) at a measured 40 yards- one handed grip style- I was impressed..
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy this is a switch ... I NEVER have problems with primers falling off ... my problem is that they are too tight. And I even put the nipple in a drill and filed it down a tad.
  • taylorman1949taylorman1949 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Pietta '58 Remmie and switched to Treso nipples. They're great never a misfire but they are TINY and had to come up with some #10 caps.
    About pinching the caps; I've heard from some that it can cause chainfires cause you're opening up space on the side of the nipples where combustion can escape, instead of creating a tight seal over the nipple.
    taylorman1949
  • range duderange dude Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have exactly the same problem with my 1858. What made the situation worse was that the - for lack of a better phrase - the headspace on the hammer was not set/filed correctly so I ended up smashing/mushrooming my nipples so only an 11 would fit with a lot a pushing. Filed the hammer a tad, fixed the headspace, installed new nipples and now #10s fit well. Have to keep the nipples wiped down after about 10 -15 shots or use #11s.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know how you could get a primer on a precussion nipple. I have always used precussion caps. I use primers in cartridges.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The thing is, Italian nipples vary greatly in size, even from the same manufacturer. Percussion caps also vary in size, depending on who makes them. Remington #11's are the biggest, so try those if others are too tight. Next smaller are CCI 11's. Remington 10's and RWS 1075's are pretty similar, with CCI 10's being the smallest. There is no standard and lots of variation.
    Tresso's are excellent replacements and always fit #10 Remington's well. They also have a much smaller flash hole so they don't blow off as easily.
    There is no rule about 10's being for revolvers and 11's being for rifles. I have (have had) dozens of C&B pistols, from all the manufacturers, and many only took the biggest #11's. Like I said, no consistancy or quality control in Italian nips, unless we're talking Sophia Loren.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Have a Pietta 1858 Rem New Army .44 cal- any make of primer is a loose fit on the nipples- when firing, they fall off and jamb into the frame- so I have just been priming the cylinders one at a time-any other sized nipples/primers available-??
    Gunny. Stainless steel nipples from ThunderRidge are sized for #11 Remington caps. Tresso's are sized for #10s

FM