In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loaded relolvers

gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
If a cap & ball relolver was kept loaded with caps on it, will the powder ever go bad and the weapon not fire? A co-worker asked me this & I didn't have an answer for him. I know black powder is hygroscopic so I was concerned about the powder drawing enough moisture from the air to render it unreliable.
GH1[:)]

Comments

• BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If moisture can't get in, sure. Some guys have c&b revolvers loaded as home defense weapons although personally I'd use my .45 auto... many stories and first hand accounts of old loaded percussion firearms being discharged

So it can happen. Whether it will or not as always, depends on many things
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep two cap and ball revolvers loaded in my house.
    I have kept one loaded for as long as two years and it fired flawlessly, all five cylinders.
    I do not put paraffin on the caps, nor any sealant on top of the cylinders.
    This is in the humid environment of the NC mountains.
    I have one that has been loaded for 3 years now, got to get out and give it a test, let me say, I wouldn't want to be standing in front of it when the trigger gets pulled.
  • team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greg..i have dug civil war shells that have intact powder that will ignite with no problem....as long as the powder maintains a dryness to it.. it is stable and ready for service..a friend of mine inherited a tower enfield out of kentucky...it had a loaded round in the chamber left over from the civil war...it fired off..once the nipple was replaced[:D]..even with paper time fused shells i had extracted powder spark off..
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks forthe input guys, I'll pass this onto my buddy.
    GH1[:)]