In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brand New CVA Electra for $206!!

HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
Just won (On GB) a New Gun! My First BP gun..

Looking forward to the Mail Arriving!

[EDIT]: I don't have the gun yet, but reading on the CVA website, they specify "Only BlackPowder or PYRODEX" - aren't there many other Substitute Propellants, like 777 and so on? Shouldn't the restriction be "No Smokeless Powders"?

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations!
    That is the one with electric ignition, rather than a primer, right?

Yes you are right, you can use 777, Blackhorn 209, I think there are a few others.

Let us know how you like it, it ought to have a good trigger.

Be sure to put in a new battery before you go hunting on a cold day.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    The Ad Copy sez the battery is good for over 600 hours continuous - something like 25 days. Yes it has a Spark Plug instead of a Primer/Flint.

I figured it would make it easier to transition to BP. However, here in Worshintun, only Primers "Exposed to the elements" are approved for Ignition (oh,yeah, Slow match, or Flint is OK too.) and there can be no Electronics at all for the arm to qualify for Muzzleloader Hunting Season.

If I like this, then I might get a Full-on BP Smokepole. Local Expert suggested that I get the Lyman Great Plains Hunter model.

But for $206, I figured this would be a (relatively) painless intro for me.

Wifey WAS mad I bought it, until she found out it was 50 Caliber!! Then She Likes it!?!?! I'm keepin my mouth shut about now.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt with a guy who has one, he loves it only drawback will depend on the state you hunt in, some states wont consider it unloaded unless the battery is taken out, since there is no cap or primer to remove, this is lengthy and a pain, and yes he does carry an extra battery every day, just in case. good luck with yours.
    edited November -1
    That is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.
    It is a great rifle. I have a Thompson Center Hawken, also a great rifle and I have killed 5 deer and 4 wild hogs with it.
    The Lyman is more approved by the purists, it more closely resembles a real Hawken rifle.
    The TC is a beautiful rifle also, and very well built.

BP rifle prices are down, especially the old traditional rifles, 'cause everybody wants an inline these days, you could get a steal on a used Lyman or TC, just need to check the bore and lock to make sure it has been cleaned properly.

Or not. Green Mountain makes drop-in barrels for the TC. These are even more accurate than the original.
    You could buy a used TC that wasn't cleaned, ruined bore, for $100, then get a brand new Green Mountain barrel, that would be a hell of a rifle!
    GM barrel $150 more or less.
    edited November -1
    It's Here! Won the bid on Monday, and It is already here, all the way from Hunter's Outlet in Thief River Falls, Minnesota! That is Quick.

It is Lighter than I expected, and Shorter in length.

[EDIT1}: I am a little disappointed by the screws that secure the Grip Cap, behind which the battery lives - they are fine-thread Metric, only lightly blued, and with the First use to install the supplied battery, they got a little edge shine where the bluing wore off. That is the Minor Plaint, but the Major one is that these fine-thread screws are NOT captured - they can fall out and be instantly lost in a Hunting Cabin/Blind, or on the Forest Floor. That would Put the gun out of commission! The OEM battery was already weak. I had to supply my own - Sheesh...

[EDIT 2]: Well, Took it apart for its Official "Putting it into Service First Cleaning". Found some Plastic Stock Chips under the mating faces of the Stock and Recoil Lugs. Found a serious Burr at the Inside end of the "Spark Plug" threads of the Barrel. Barrel inside/Rifling Finish is really good - better than many other Brands of Firearm I have seen. All the machining is very good, but like the Barrel threads Burr, and the chips at the recoil lugs, there is evidence of hasty/less than "White Glove" assembly. More evidence of Ham-Handed/uncaring assembly - one of the Two Allen Socket headed screws that secure the Barrel to the Stock was nearly stripped during assembly, such that the supplied allen wrench will not fully enter the socket. I'm gonna call Factory and ask for replacement - it is that bad.

Boy, Part count of this BP gun is really small!!

I called the Factory, and asked about the replacement cost of the Ignition/Spark Module...it is more than what I paid for the Entire Gun, after rebates!! Oh, well - There IS a "Lifetime Warranty" for the Original Owner...
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a good review for it. I have read that it will NOT ignite Blackhorn 209, but don't know for sure. You might want to check into BH209 reviews most I've read said they had hangfires or no ignition at all in their Electra's.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=58582
    edited November -1
    Ah so!

When CVA says Black Powder or Pyrodex only, it is because the electonic igniter won't light off the other BP subs.
    edited November -1
    Owner's Manual Lists: Pyrodex, Pinnacle, 777, American Pioneer, and Black Mag 3 by name, and mention the use of "Other BP substitutes" as allowed, and DOES NOT name any that are to be avoided,

There is mention in both the Manual AND in the provided DVD, that after inserting PELLETIZED propellants, they need to be rammed such that the one in contact with the Spark Plug is broken/crushed against the Plug, to aid Ignition.

I am going shopping for a few things today, I guess. There is a Black Powder Guns and Accessories Store on River Road, in Puyallup. I guess I will be acquiring the first of a few things that are needed for the care and feeding of a "Black" Gun. Hope I don't end up like all the other BP Lovers I see at the range, one or three guns and six or ten footlockers of schtuff to keep 'em going!! The joke at our Range is that the booths for the BP guys need Sturdy shelves, room for the hand truck, and a source of water, to hose them out after, and New Paint to cover up the Scorch marks...

[EDIT] - with any Luck, I'll make it to the Range before Sundown, with less that a cart full of implements, goos, Patches, and Possibles Bags. I think I am safe from the Buckskins, though - there ain't any Two Bucks that are large enough to cover my stinkin frame!
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    allen don't know a lot about the use of other powders, can tell you one impressive thing though. Last year we were out on the porch playing and I allways shoot off a cap or two to clear my rifle before firing, my cousin was playing with his just to hear the spark, we poured about 20 grains of powder down the barrell of his electra and my knight, when I shot mine with a 209 primer it went off and blew out about half of the powder, only burning about half. His went off and burned all the powder not blowing out any. this was with loose powder no patch or ball. I was impressed with the amount of spark and the complete burn, but this was with black powder.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    allen don't know a lot about the use of other powders, can tell you one impressive thing though. Last year we were out on the porch playing and I allways shoot off a cap or two to clear my rifle before firing, my cousin was playing with his just to hear the spark, we poured about 20 grains of powder down the barrell of his electra and my knight, when I shot mine with a 209 primer it went off and blew out about half of the powder, only burning about half. His went off and burned all the powder not blowing out any. this was with loose powder no patch or ball. I was impressed with the amount of spark and the complete burn, but this was with black powder.

The 209 primer by itself has a good bit of pressure behind it when it ignites. When you just pour down powder and do not put a sabot or bullet over the powder charge, just the force of the primer going off is going to send the powder out of the barrel, burnt or not. The Electra does not have any force behind it, just a spark that is going to ignite the powder allowing all of the powder to burn, and not create any pressure to force any of the powder out of the barrel.
  • SammowrySammowry Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulation to your "score" on GB.

I'll be watchin' for your "range report".

Hmm... Meebee I need to offer a CHALLENGE - sort of a Postal shoot be twixt us... It would give me the EXCUSE to drag out my SMOKEPOLES and put some lead down range... Especially the Flinter Hawken Kit I built last year - AND HAS BEEN HANGIN' ON THE WALL, but never fired.

Still - YOU DID GET A GREAT DEAL!

(as far as buckskins - you get ur' ELK this year - that'll cover yah - just like them Easterner's Lewis N' Clark! jus sayin') tee hee...