In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bore seasoning

rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
Hi guys,
Dumb question #342, can I season a used rifle bore?

Comments

• rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, a black powder rifle bore.............anyone?
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Clean it really well and use a bronze brush to scrub it out. If you have any JB Paste, use it too. This should leave you with a "clean" bore. Then season like you would a new barrel.
  • Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HandgunHTR52 has the idea, just one point, make sure the lands AND groves are shiny clean. otherwise you will have the potential for pits in the groves and a sticky bore. What I found best for seasoning is Crisco and a few drops of Teaberry oil or Bore Butter.
    (just for the record Rufe, dumb answer#26) [:)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot. ( get it? shot, we're talkin about guns...........huh funny.no?)
    edited November -1
    quote: Thanks, I'll give it a shot. ( get it? shot, we're talkin about guns...........huh funny.no?) That's a BARREL of laughs, the perfect way to close the holiday SEASON. (sorry couldn't help myself) [:D][:D]
    Wanted to add one more thing just in case, once you start the seasoning don't use any petroleum based cleaners or solvents in the barrel. Ivory soap in a bucket of hot water should do the trick for cleaning, the heat from the hot water will help the barrel dry quickly. Then a coat of bore butter to preserve.
    edited November -1
    I thought no petrolium products after it's seasoned, that's what TCA recomends on a new barrel. thanks.
    edited November -1
    It's just like a cast iron fry pan, if it's been seasoned for 20 years,or 20 minutes, one dunk in detergent will take it back to square one. petroleum on the outside and lock parts is fine anytime.
    edited November -1
    I gotcha, I read too fast. I just ordered some bore butter from TCA, I have lyman gold but I'd like to try the bore butter.

PS. I know all about seasoned pans, I was a professional chef for 20+ years, ever need a good venison recipe, let me know, I got hundreds![;)]