In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cva mtn rifle sights

kenny550kenny550 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
I need a front and rear fiber optic sight set for a cva mtn rifle in 50 cal. Where can I find these, they will have to be a dovetail base style. Any help would be appreceiated.

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    search for williams sights they make sights for almost anything.
  • bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First place I would look involving any type of parts would be the Brownell's catalog. They have about any sight parts you can think of..... God Bless & Merry CHRISTmas...........
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownell's, Midway, Numrich (e-gunparts.com), possibly Dixie Gun Works. Four options for good places to start. Cabela's also sells a certain number of aftermarket sights for various muzzleloaders.

This definitely can be done -- I bought a set of fiber-optics off this auction site and installed them on a CVA Bobcat barrel a few years ago. I believe they were a Lyman set but can't recall.

The dovetail slots on a Mountain Rifle measure .360", but can easily be enlarged to accept the American standard 3/8" (.375") dovetails on many sights. A triangular file with the teeth ground off one flat (to keep from deepening the dovetail slots as you're widening them) will accomplish this in a few minutes -- be careful not to get in a hurry and take too much metal off before checking the fit of the new sights in their slots. Don't ask how I know this....

If later you want to switch back to standard metallic sights, the selection of sights with 3/8" dovetail bases is far greater than for the .360" versions.

Might also look into whether or not any of the fiber optic sights intended for CVA or Traditions in-line rifles are dovetail based -- they would fit the dovetails in your Mountain Rifle without modification.