In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

which to buy, educate me a little

calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
I know i'm not interested in a kit gun or any that doesn't have something similiar to the #209 ( i think that is the right number) primer. I've looked at hunstman and sidekick and like these for the price. I would like to hear from those that shoot these type rifles for their input before i buy.

Comments

• amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calamitywood
    I know i'm not interested in a kit gun or any that doesn't have something similiar to the #209 ( i think that is the right number) primer. I've looked at hunstman and sidekick and like these for the price. I would like to hear from those that shoot these type rifles for their input before i buy.

I see that a lot of people have read your post. I hope one of them can give you an answer. I know someone I can invite to peek in here. Maybe he'll help.
  • chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the major sporting goods stores nowmuzzle loading season is over and they need to get rid of their stock.
    I have seen many with a big big big reduction in price. I have seen some at $150 off the reg price. You mentioned the 209 primer so I will take it that you want an inline. I would suggest that you not buy one of the bolt action types. They have a brake open type where you load the primer (just like a break open shotgun).
    Look around here.http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/muzzleloaders.asp
    The huntsman you listed looks pretty good from the pics. Some of the traditions are around the same price.
    When you get one I wound recommend the powerbelt bullets.
  • yota1070yota1070 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always go by "You get what you pay for"....it all depends on what you plan on using your smokepole for. Are you just getting into it and what to plink w/it, or are going to use it for hunting? My choice would be hands down Knight. I have never(knock on wood)had any type of misfire or problem, even while hunting during rain or snow. My knight shoots better than some of my Model 70's! Just my $.02
  • yota1070yota1070 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifles that use the 209 primer enable you to use the 777 pellets...which burns faster and cleaner. The old style #11 caps are for loose powder or the standard pyrodex pellets...but not as good of a burn and you have to swab the barrel more often.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the T/C ENCORE!! [^]
  • calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks to all for your kind responses. it is really appreciated
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the new Remington ML. They look good and sound very simple. I'm waiting for one to be at Gander Mountain so I can look at it "up close and personal"
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're thinking about getting an in-line (ie. a muzzle loader that uses the 209 primer) I've used my T/C Omega 50 for three years. It is one sweet shooter. Only problem (in the eyes of more traditional folks) is that in camo and stainless, it doesn't look like a gun![:D]
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    if you plan on hunting with it, check your state game laws before you buy as some state don't allow inlines or scopes ie modern stuff
  • oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gskyhawk
    ...some state don't allow inlines or scopes ie modern stuff

As well they should. [:D]