In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SAA revolvers push pin or screw?

stateofbarbarismstateofbarbarism Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Recently I came across a table top book on guns and a photograph of a blued Colt SAA Old model appeared on a page in .44 Special with 4 3/4 barrel. This model had the screw in the front and the larger head bullseye ejector rod. The handgun was Arvo Ojalo's, the famous Hollywood gun coach. Apparantly he preferred these older types over the newer model Colts with the push pin cylinder release and this caliber above others.

Anyhow, this photo got me thinking really hard that I should invest in two Cimmaron Old Model P's in the exact frame style and caliber. I suppose someone more knowledgeable than me will talk me into the newer push pin type. Should I listen?

Comments

• dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kind of have been wondering about this too. Other than looks, is there any advantage to the screw instead of the push pin? Would be more of a PITA to get the cylinder out for cleaning with the screw.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is commonly called the "Black Powder" frame as the original Colt SAA's were built this way. My personal opinion is that the spring loaded plunger set up came along because it was way to easy to loose the screw out of the frame and then there was nothing to hold the cylinder pin in place.

If you are very diligent in checking all the screws on your firearms after every shooting session this might not be such a big deal.

I am used to and have only ever had or used the spring loaded plunger type cylinder pin retaining system so I may be a little biased.

Again, this is my opinion.

Bode
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I always preferred the cross-pin release as opposed to the black-powder style as it's much easier to remove the cylinder. I don't always carry a screwdriver and I also don't want to risk buggering the screw.

Since they still make the SAA with the cross-pin release, that's obviously the most preferred style, although there are still some blackpowder-style frames out there for the period purists.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone makes good points. The push pin was an improvement. No tools needed to remove the cylinder and no screw to lose. If this purchase is for fun guns for shooting, and you aren't a "period purist" or trying to re-enact a particular 19th century era, then go with the push pin model. And I am a period purist.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somebody makes a knurled head screw for the "black powder" frames to simplify getting the base pin and cylinder out.

There was a guy on another board who reported a stripped screw on a BP frame gun. He thinks the hole is ok.

I think the crosspin is the way to go. You can get extra strength springs for them if needed.