In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.40 cal conicals?

stevebert1stevebert1 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have a .40 cal Jack Garner gun with a 1:48 twist. This gun shoots round ball well enough, but I would like to hunt white tail with it. I'm told that the .40 ball will not penetrate bone all that well, so I'd like to shoot a heavier projectile, hence the question regarding conicals.

I've looked all over the internet for a source for .40 conicals or ball-ets, but .40 seems to be a pretty unpopular caliber in general, and conicals for it are non-existent. So my questions are:
1. Does anyone know of a source for .40 conicals?
2. Am I correct that the .40 is insufficient for whitetail? (.40 is legal in my state)
3. Why is .40 so unpopular?
4. If the answer to question 1 is no and #2 is yes, would anyone like to buy this beautiful rifle?

Comments

• Options
    DanHarrisDanHarris Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well I also shoot 40. cal. and yess conican bulits are neer to imposible to find but how ever I have machined a mold for 41 cal. conical bulits, but working on 40, cal mold. As far as downing white tail a good marksman have taken many fair sized animals down with a 40. you do have a bit more advantage with conican doe to the weight of the bulit. How ever in my book balls work just as well on a decent shot. Also due on the year of your rifle eirly modles are disigned to shoot balls. What is good for the goos isn't always good for the gander.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy who has killed lots of deer with a .45 round ball. He says it is a great deer killer.
    The .40 is a whole lot smaller. It will certainly kill deer if you hit them right. There are so many problems that you could have with this little round ball, I would not use it for deer. It makes a good chance that you would leave a wounded deer to suffer in the woods.
    I agree with your thinking. Either find a slug for this gun, or get rid of it and get a .50.
    Hit 'em in the lungs with a .50 round ball and they will not get far, believe me.
  • Options
    daaaandaaaan Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if interested in selling email me @ dan101theman@yahoo.com