In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-30 Win Cowboy loads????

Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
I got a hankerin' to shoot some real light (around 100gr.) L RNFP out of my '94 Wrangler. So I'm looking for info on where I might be able to get some bullets and some load data.
Can you push a L RNFP through a '94 Wrangler with the Holy Black?
As usual, any input from you guys and girls would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read somewhere that the winchester .32 special was winchester's answer to the old school folks who did not immediately take to the smokeless powder in the .30-30.

It seems like the .32's case was more agreeable to black powder loading and volume.

To answer your question, check the SASS web site links for information on reloading and where to get bullets.

Bode
  • R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This subject came up a few months ago on the SASS wire, and the general concensus was don't do it!

I have never tried it in mine, and after what I read from others that did...I'll stick to my smokeless recipe.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    I should have made myself clearer.
    I'm really looking for info on shooting light bullets with smokeless powder. The question about BP was an afterthought.
    I know I can't use the gun in matches but I don't care, I practice a lot more than I compete.
    I have a couple of loading manuals and a bunch of good links but I haven't found much info on light (around 100gr,)L RNFP.
    My shooting partner is 5 feet and 100 lbs. so I want to load the lightest loads possible.
    edited November -1
    RD.
    I'd like to know you're smokeless recipe.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For smokeless loads, try the Hodgdon web site. I know I got some reduced loads for the 30-30 and the .243 off of it. I loaded them for my daughter and she shot em with no problem.

Bode
    edited November -1
    I've been doing a pretty thorough search and haven't located any 100 gr. L RNFPs. Found some .309 Carbine bullets-110 gr. but they're RN.
    Guess I'll have to make a trip to Sportsman's Warehouse and get a box of 165 gr.
    edited November -1
    Sky, I think the lightest bullet you'll find for 30-30, that's a LRNFP is going to be the 150gr. I've used em before, and they worked quite well.

For the past few years, I've been using a 170gr with a gas check, and 28.5gr of IMR-3031.

Keep in mind, I've got a lot more barrel out there than yours! Mine's a 100yr old m94, with a 26" octagon barrel.

You'll find the IMR data on the Hodgdon site, they own them! Good luck.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For light plinking loads,I use Unique.Even with 170 grain lead bullets it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay less kick than a regular rifle round is.
    7 to 10 grains of Unique gives a fps range of 1148 fps to 1443 fps.

My old Marlin is heavier than your winny,so recoil may be heavier,but surely not abusive.
    edited November -1
    Come to think of it, a friend of mine turned me on to another recipe years ago I never would have thought of.

9gr of Red Dot with that 150gr pill worked great! Really wimpy, might be just what you want. Nothing personal...it was just really soft for a 30-30! [:D] [;)]