In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lyman Deerstalker

DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
I have a Lyman Deerstalker flintlock .50 cal rifle. great gun except that somehow the stock became cracked. I've tried to locate a replacement stock but to no avail. Lyman factory is proud of theirs and is reflected in their price! I have a standing wtb in the gunbroker "want add"forum but recieve no replies. Anyone got an extra? [?]

Comments

• oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on where the crack is you might try a "fix" until you find a new stock so you can at least use it. Get some oak dowels, drill some holes in the cracked stock (through the crack, not in the crack) Work some good wood glue into the crack, glue the dowels and place in the drilled holes. Should be a tight fit. Cut the dowels off and sand smooth. Once dry, you can add a rawhide cover over the repair. Get some rawhide, cut to approximate size to go around the repair, boil it to soften it. Stretch it around the repaired stock, trim a little closer and stitch the edges together with strips of the wet rawhide. Set aside until it dries. The rawhide will shrink with quite a bit of pressure and should hold for a long time. It also adds a little character to your firearm. Good Luck.
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty much what Oldfriends said, except I'd recommend using Accraglas or other glass-bedding compound as the adhesive agent. The glass-bedding mix can be stained to more or less match your stock's color.
  • DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked at repairing the stock in a manner which you have described but found that the stock has three separate cracks in the action area of it. Not much solid wood to repair to. I've since purchased a T C RENEGADE used, in excellent condition for the upcomming Pa. flintlock season, but I still want to refresh the Lyman and will keep looking for a replacement stock, thanks for the input.