In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CO, Black Powder hunter's ????__+ mini RANT

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
If you guys wouldn't mind, answer this for me.

About how many yrs have you or did you put in for MZ Buck Deer before drawing a tag.

I live in the middle of unit's 54,55 here in colorado and i don't want to drive 75 miles one way to take a buck.
Some of the rifle guys i've talked to say it could take up to 10yrs to draw a deer tag. WTH?

the points system is a crock, i was told the increased in your chance's are less than .125% per point, depending upon the number of aplicants for a particular area.

I see alot of outa state hunters in the area. maybe they are to blame????? Big $$$$

Comments

• elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    If you guys wouldn't mind, answer this for me.

About how many yrs have you or did you put in for MZ Buck Deer before drawing a tag.

I live in the middle of unit's 54,55 here in colorado and i don't want to drive 75 miles one way to take a buck.
    Some of the rifle guys i've talked to say it could take up to 10yrs to draw a deer tag. WTH?

the points system is a crock, i was told the increased in your chance's are less than .125% per point, depending upon the number of aplicants for a particular area.

I see alot of outa state hunters in the area. maybe they are to blame????? Big $$$$

I just blew 11 points for an BP elk hunt in 61. I don't like Colorado's system. NM and AZ are better.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure about deer tags...A friend and I just got our MZ Elk and third season buck tags W/O any points for the second year in a row...And YES the CO system really zucks! I don't even put in for area 61 (and that's my backyard!...And elkoholics')..Darn shame he had to use 11 points to hunt at home!!!
    Good luck!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grunt2
    Not sure about deer tags...A friend and I just got our MZ Elk and third season buck tags W/O any points for the second year in a row...And YES the CO system really zucks! I don't even put in for area 61 (and that's my backyard!...And elkoholics')..Darn shame he had to use 11 points to hunt at home!!!
    Good luck!

Good to see you again Grunt. Some of the places I scouted last weekend were so low I might have literally been in your backyard!!! Keep your head down during the MZ season cuz those folks from the East end of the county are CRAZY!!! If you get a big one eating your shrubs let me know I'll come put an end to it.[;)][;)]

BTW saw your fellow LEO DB a couple of weeks ago. Told him I'd met you on the net. He says hi.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I been here 3 yrs. first yr I couldn't put in for the hunts

the last two i get my first season rifle elk for the second yr in a row, no pts. I was hoping to get an MZ deer permit to test out these new bullets i've started to use. so that i can put in for the MZ elk hunt.

Another guy i talked to told me to archery hunt unit 55 he gets a tag every yr for both deer and elk.

I havn't spent much time in 61, but if the elk and deer are anything like they are here in 54 and exspecilly 55 then now wonder its hard to draw. everyone from GJ and Denver make the drive out to hunt in our "backyards" thats part of the reason i moved here, saved a alot of money on fuel and hotels.
    edited November -1
    The only other thing as bad as the CO. draw system is all the road closures for "Wilderness"...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grunt2
    The only other thing as bad as the CO. draw system is all the road closures for "Wilderness"...

You got that right. I attended the gunnison FS meeting of proposed summer travel managment. @ the end of May, for the gunnison area north

same old crap, in 15yrs you won't be allowed to leave the pavement in a car, if they get their way. 100,000 of thousands of acres will be lost and never seen again. damm stick fairies[:(!]

Forest Service is cutting their own throats. they keep shutting things down. soon there won't be anything to do or at least the majority of people won't want to do. and they will go broke.
    [^]
    pretty soon the state will start building ATV parks kinda like those skate parks. for people who perfer not to walk every where. so they can keep their licencing fees that they will loss when there isn't anywhere to go.
    edited November -1
    In these parts...the forest service has traded and given land to owners that would lock their gates to the public (even county roads!!) I really don't mind walking a mile or two or three for a turkey...But 6-10 miles due to forest service closures is pure B.S.! Let alone elk hunting that far on foot! There are some land owners that had 120-180 acres before the closures that now have exclusive right to "thousands" of acres...They make a bundle off guiding and selling their "land owner" tags to the highest bidder...Just not fair. DOW just put up a gate on another road to cut down on poaching..? I work for the S.O.....and never heard of any such problem.! Forest Service, BLM, BOR, DOW and the Nature Conservancy must be working together these days...The leader of the "Wilderness" project is (was) Degette(sp) in Denver.. (now ya got me started)...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member