In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BP reloading - drop tubes

kelseygresskelseygress Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I am new to black powder shooting. My rifle is a Sharp's 1875 45-70.
I am looking for help as I am making a "drop tube" for my reloading of the 45-70.
I have 3' of copper 1/2" and 3' of 3/8" copper. Which is the better to use for a drop tube? And how long to make it?
Thank you for any suggestions,
Dick

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My drop tube is 3/8" copper tubing with both ends flared as large as the tool will go. One end sets over the mouth of the case like a regular powder funnel, I hold a small funnel into the top flare. I haven't dropped it yet, but a neater setup would be to glue or solder a funnel into the top of the drop tube.

Mine is 31" long, but that is to suit my style, dropping powder standing over a cartridge block on a low stool. Just just get comfortable and cut the tube to a length that fits your position. Anything over two feet will do, but more is at least a little better up to the full yard of your tubing.
  • Options
    powderhombrepowderhombre Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my drop tube to go into my case, so 1/4" ID works fine. I put a small flap of milk jug with a hole in it to cover the case mouth so no powder floats out of the case. make it adjustable up and down so as your powder charge grows you can move it in and out of the case. for more info on the subject go to www.powderhombre.com ( good tool for those new to BPCR) and www.bpcr.net forums for people like us. thanks
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A smaller diameter tube is better than large because it causes the powder to trickle into the case more slowly. I've found there isn't a lot to be gained by having the tube be longer than about 18-inches.
  • Options
    kelseygresskelseygress Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is 3/8" OK vs 1/4" for the drop tube?