In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

58 cal mini ball

rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
who makes a 58 caliber mini ball mold that drops a .580 diameter ball that weights around 500 grains

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might check Lee, they make many molds and may have what you need.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    may i ask why a .580 dia. mini? i shoot a mini rifle and the .580 mini may be a little tight. i shoot a 575213 hollow base lyman mini.ball and it,s very accurate and easy to load. eastbank.
  • rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am using a .578 mini right now and it is too loose, i have to paper patch it for it to group , i was hoping to find a larger one and avoid the paper patching
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rusty3040
    i am using a .578 mini right now and it is too loose, i have to paper patch it for it to group , i was hoping to find a larger one and avoid the paper patching

Is it hollow based?
    edited November -1
    is your bullet cast out of pure lead? if so what charge are you useing? i use 60grs of 3F with the hollow base filled with crisco. in a clean barrel it is a loose fit for a shot or so. i have some mini molds i picked up,i,ll have to look and see if i have any larger ones. eastbank.
  • rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am using pure lead, in a ideal 575213 mold, this bullet works in my remington zouave, but my 1863 springfeld has a oversize bore , the bullet will rattle in the barrel , as for getting tighter after a few shots that doesnt help , i can shoot forty shots in a row and it still will fall down the bore
  • team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check out lyman see what they offer
    edited November -1
    i,m sorry i don,t have any larger 58 molds, i,m going to a show this week-end and i,ll look for one. eastbank.
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link to a .580 Minie ball mold - http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=538341 - but it's a little lighter than what you wanted at 416 grains.

And your posts have me a little confused. You said " i am using pure lead, in a ideal 575213 mold" (should throw a .575 bullet) and in another post you refer to its diameter as .578. Lyman/Ideal molds cast very close to their nominal size. I take it that you've measured those bullets?

In any event, I think that you're on the right track trying to get a Minie ball that's just barely undersize in relation to the gun's bore size. Armi Sport .58 calibers, just for example, are known to have bore sizes that vary from .579 to .582 (and yes, that's land-to-land diameter). Bore size varies widely with different manufacturers and a Minie ball that is too far undersized can be frustrating to use.

Hang in there. There is a great market for used Minie ball molds so even if you can't borrow different ones to find the one that works you should have no trouble recovering most of the money that you spend seeking the right one for your needs. Good luck and have fun!!