In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody use a CO2 Load Discharger?

elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
Specifically on an Encore 209x50?

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    in the 6+ yrs. i've had my encore, they have all gone BOOM.

I have seen them but never could figure out at what point it would pay to have one. with all the new more reliable powders and 209 primers and the invent of the inline rifle. i don't think they have as much use as they once did.
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Odawgp-Thanks for the input. I'm very new to BP and I'm a little paranoid about having a "click" when I needed a "boom" with the bull of a lifetime in the sights. I am considering using the CO2 Load Discharger to empty the the breech nightly without having to blast a stump in the middle of the night.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic
    Odawgp-Thanks for the input. I'm very new to BP and I'm a little paranoid about having a "click" when I needed a "boom" with the bull of a lifetime in the sights. I am considering using the CO2 Load Discharger to empty the the breech nightly without having to blast a stump in the middle of the night.

LOL never thought about it that way.
    I never developed the "click" paranoia, I developed the other one.
    ChiT!!!, "your not close enough, you can't hit that from here!!!" Range finder says I can, BS I'll get closer oops bye, bye elk not sneeky enough I guess [:o)]

let me know how that goes, the hunt that is
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not ALL of us shoot Inlines. For the occasional "dry ball" loading, the CO2 dischargers come in mighty handy on traditional M/Ls. Emery
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mazo kid
    Not ALL of us shoot Inlines. For the occasional "dry ball" loading, the CO2 dischargers come in mighty handy on traditional M/Ls. Emery

I would certainly hope not!! Unfortunately my exposure to black powder has been limited to inlines...that will change.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    elkoholic.....I can't believe you shoot a "Inline"...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grunt2

Right now BP is just a means to and end... a huge, smelly, testosterone filled, 330+, freezer full of sausage type end.[:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grunt2

And just what is wrong with a inline. [;)]

G&A Mag. claims
    "In the past few years, Thompson/Center has become the undisputed heavyweight champion in the world of muzzleloaders"
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    an in-line? well--- it's just not a Hawken!
    edited November -1
    Nothing is "Wrong" with an Inline; it's just that I MUCH prefer the looks and aura of a traditional rifle that does the same thing as a modern rifle that looks like a modern rifle only loads from the front. We are ALL in this together, so it's what ever trips YOUR trigger! Emery
  • modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ODAWGP In my humble opinion........It is a CHEATER's way of doing things... It is like a pitcher throwing a spitball,,or a sass shooter fixing his trigger so it fires on the closing of the lever,,and all the sneaky little ways the cheaters use to gain an edge..after all,,we are supposed to be SPORTSMEN,,not "WIN AT ANY COST" players.. It is up to the user, 'The powers to be' have not set the proper rules as of yet but you can be sure they will soon wise up..I HOPE....Muzzle loader hunting should mean just that,,not anything you can do to add an edge..Every time I see those darn things hanging on the walls I get a bad feeling..But then I'm seventy and was told all my life to be an honest PLAYER..It's up to you to be your own person..If it makes you happy to be '1 up',go for it..good luck modoc
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by modoc
    ODAWGP In my humble opinion........It is a CHEATER's way of doing things... It is like a pitcher throwing a spitball,,or a sass shooter fixing his trigger so it fires on the closing of the lever,,and all the sneaky little ways the cheaters use to gain an edge..after all,,we are supposed to be SPORTSMEN,,not "WIN AT ANY COST" players.. It is up to the user, 'The powers to be' have not set the proper rules as of yet but you can be sure they will soon wise up..I HOPE....Muzzle loader hunting should mean just that,,not anything you can do to add an edge..Every time I see those darn things hanging on the walls I get a bad feeling..But then I'm seventy and was told all my life to be an honest PLAYER..It's up to you to be your own person..If it makes you happy to be '1 up',go for it..good luck modoc

"i dont know how to spell it"

2 shay

[:)
    edited November -1
    I hunt with my flintlock during the regular rifle season; also for the M/L season so I don't buy into the "more deer" argument. It's the HUNT that matters to me. Some states specify "EXTERNAL HAMMER ONLY" for M/L season, and some outlaw sabots as a means to keep it traditional. Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers, but that is my opinion. If you prefer an Inline, more power to you, enjoy the experience. Oh, and I only shoot black powder! Emery
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh yes, I've used the CO 2 to discharge both my T/C Omega 50 and my Hawken ... when you forget to put in the black stuff it just is not as much fun. It works fine in both! But a ball puller works just as well and is not quite so high tech![:D]
  • dhoffman02dhoffman02 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the CO2 discharger on my Encore and it works great - well worth the $$$ and much better than killing stumps...they're too hard to field dress - ya know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dhoffman02
    I use the CO2 discharger on my Encore and it works great - well worth the $$$ and much better than killing stumps...they're too hard to field dress - ya know.

and they are hard to BBQ with out excess flame! [:D]

I did buy one and it works great.
  • brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in the few missfires i had i unscrewed the percussion cap inserted some powder there and ir went boom. The hawken has that little srew on the side.
  • reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a co2 discharger becuz I am one of several hosts to the open public where b/p is available. It is an essential. It does not always work but with a traditional b/p (mine an 1861 s'field by armi d'sport} it is one tool in an arsenal to get out what won't come out easy.