In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Powder Substitute

SpringCreekTradeCoSpringCreekTradeCo Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Is there any other Black Powder substitute like SHOCKEY'S GOLD out there? Anybody have experience using this in a 209/50 encore?
Bullet brand/weight experience/preference with SHOCKEY'S GOLD?

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Are you asking if there are any other BP substitutes besides Shockey's Gold, or are you asking if there are any out there that have the same properties as Shockey's Gold?

As far as BP substitutes, there is Pyrodex, 777, any of the American Pioneer Powders (including the Shockey line), GOEX makes one, and I am sure there are others that I am forgetting.

I have not read good things about Shockey's Gold, but like everything else that you read, it is only the opinion of the author.

I am using 777 in my Encore, but I am sick of the "crud ring" and will be switching back to regular Pyrodex when my 777 runs out.
  • Options
    SpringCreekTradeCoSpringCreekTradeCo Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry I wasn't clearer. I'm looking for info on any available substitutes that have the same "freedom from cleaning immediately" that SHOCKEY'S GOLD talks about. I'd also like to hear from anybody that has experience using it in a TC Encore.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have high hopes for Blackhorn.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/blackpowder_breakthrough.htm

Supposedly it is non corrosive. We shall see.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SpringCreekTradeCo
    Sorry I wasn't clearer. I'm looking for info on any available substitutes that have the same "freedom from cleaning immediately" that SHOCKEY'S GOLD talks about. I'd also like to hear from anybody that has experience using it in a TC Encore.

There is no such thing. Shockey's Gold and 777 both state that they are non-corrosive and eliminate the need for cleaning right away. The problem is that they also state that they can easily be cleaned up "using just hot water". Therein lies the problem. To be able to be cleaned using just water means that it soaks up water very easily. So, what happens is Joe Schmuckitelly shoots his muzzleloader, puts it up and forgets about it for a while. While he is busy completing his honey-do list, the powder residue in his nice new muzzleloader is soaking up every available water molecule out of the air like a sailor sucking down longnecks. And, as we all know water is not good for metal. The next thing you know, Joe's new muzzleloader is a pitted out tent pole, and a short one at that.
    So, technically, the powder itself isn't corrosive, but it will still be a corrosion facilitator if not cleaned out of the barrel relatively quickly.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the "new miracle powder" three years ago was BlackMag3. The company that made it, Magkor, billed it as "non corrosive."
    I saw it in the Cabelas catalog, and I noticed that Cabelas did not call it "non corrosive."
    Good ole Cabelas.
    I bought a pound, cost $53 with hazmat fee plus shipping from Cabelas.
    To test it out I fired one shot with my cap and ball revolver. I put it up without cleaning.
    Thank God, I ran a patch down the bore before I put it up.
    I went to look at my pistol two weeks later and the cylinder and hammer were covered with red rust! What a nightmare.
    I spent 3 hours cleaning my pistol and it still isn't quite right.
    So much for BlackMag3, although it was good powder and very easy to clean up. Also gave good velocity.
    Anyway BlackMag3 has pretty much disappeared these days.

But, as the eternal optimist, I have high hopes for Blackhorn. But, you can't use it in cap and ball pistols because it requires the 209 primer.
  • Options
    rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SpringCreekTradeCo

Season your barrel, it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to do a good job on the entire gun, have all the correct tools at hand and use a high quality lube like the tca 1000 plus, great stuff.
  • Options
    03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use American Pioneer Powder. I have had great luck with it.

It does clean up with just water very easily. As far as leaving the gun without cleaning for extended periods of time, a person has to consider the conditions in which it will be.

I have left my Ruger Old Army's for several weeks after firing without any problems. All my guns are kept in a room with a dehumidifier running set at 45% relative humidity. Rust can't form at humidity below 50%.

If you conditions are more humid, then I wouldn't leave the gun dirty more than a couple of days after firing American Pioneer.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what they are saying about Blackhorn, it will be the BP substitute that we will all be using. Personally I can't wait to try it! Up until now, I've been pretty happy with Triple 7 ... the crud ring is the only problem I see with Triple 7..
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The simple and correct thing - is to not substitute -- muzzleloaders are usually called black powder guns - - 'cuz ? they use black powder? anything else just ain't right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it ain't got a rock in the lock, it ain't right either! This is according to the really "hard core" muzzle loader crowd, but there are some of us who just don't go for all the hassle, mess and possible degradation or our beloved muzzle loaders. I have to admit that I am with the second group of hunters/shooters.

As I said (or already admitted!) I have been using the Triple 7 substitute and I'm fairly pleased with it, but the new Blackhorn stuff ... if it works (ie shoots good with less clean up hassle) and when it is available ... it could be VERY interesting ... to me anyway! [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just had another thought ... I do call long guns muzzle loaders ... rather than Black Powder guns. Does that get me off the hook? And it is OK for me to use powders that some folks call "substitutes" ... I don't use that term either![;)][;)]