In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ok, so now I have a CVA Wolf.....

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
what should I do next.
It came with some tools and some slugs, but I need igniter, cleaner.... and so on.
Where to begin?
DSM

Comments

• goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Hornady SST sabots are what my TC likes best. They did not like the TC sabots at all. As far as powder, loose 777 powder has had better results than the pellets for me. Cleaner...dish soap and hot water to clean after the range/hunting. I follow that up with some Breakfree CLP.
  • rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it down to your local gun shop and trade it in on a thompson center .54 cal hawken, you'll thank me later[;)]
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    Cleaner...dish soap and hot water to clean after the range/hunting. I follow that up with some Breakfree CLP.

don't forget the denatured alcohol, you should always run a patch with this on it down the barrel and soak the break plug in it..as to evaporate ALL the moisture out of them before applying any lube for storing

CLP is good for the outside but too truly season the inside of the barrel you will want to use bore butter I like the pine scented
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    Cleaner...dish soap and hot water to clean after the range/hunting. I follow that up with some Breakfree CLP.

don't forget the denatured alcohol, you should always run a patch with this on it down the barrel and soak the break plug in it..as to evaporate ALL the moisture out of them before applying any lube for storing

CLP is good for the outside but too truly season the inside of the barrel you will want to use bore butter I like the pine scented

does bore butter really "season" a modern inline? I've heard it does not do anything special. Again, just some of what I've heard.
  • twin60stwin60s Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rgerge
    Take it down to your local gun shop and trade it in on a thompson center .54 cal hawken, you'll thank me later[;)]
    gotta love the hawken.why you would waste money on an inline is beyound me. i would have spent my money on a 700 vls in .308
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp

does bore butter really "season" a modern inline? I've heard it does not do anything special. Again, just some of what I've heard.

The inside of my SS Encore 50cal has a nice patina to it, as does my Hawken neither has any pitting

I don't know if it "really" works but its was the way I was taught to care for a muzzle loader barrel
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

There is no basis to seasoning your barrel like a cast iron skillet unless your barrel is made from cast iron and you use it to cook pizza.

How to Clean an Inline Muzzleloader (Article by Randy Wakeman
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm
  • rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read it online, it must be true!! Nothin' like a seasoned bore, more accurate, lots easier to clean.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rgerge
    I read it online, it must be true!! Nothin' like a seasoned bore, more accurate, lots easier to clean.

Same here

to each there own i guess, and they wonder why they can't get that crude ring out with just a spit patch?????