In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Uberti Pocket Police 36 stainless, value

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
I have a Uberti stainless 36 Pocket police in the box that I believe to be one of a kind sample.
What would be the value?

Comments

• ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it. What markings are on it? There were a quantity made in the early 80s and imported by Allen Firearms of Santa Fe NM. There was a gun test done by Phil Spangenberger in the Oct 1983 G&A on them.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A.Uberti & C.
    Italy
    S/N 12350
    Under rammer: Cal.36 BLACK POWDER ONLY
    No other markings than Italian proofs on barrel,frame & cylinder.
    I bought it directly from Uberti in the early '80s after Colt told me they canceled plans to sell a stainless Pocket Police.
    I was under the impression at the time it was Uberti's display model
    and one of a kind in stainless.
    edited November -1
    Interesting. Does this one have brass or SS backstrap & trigger guard? Is there a date code in the proof marks?

There have been a few Uberti Pocket Police and Pocket Navy models listed in last couple years on this and other auction sites that were marketed as being Uberti stainless steel display/show models from anywhere between the late 60s to 90s. There was an auction that just ended this weekend with a pair of them - only one of which was marked Uberti. None of them had the box, and most didn't have appropriate markings - or in one case, any markings at all. The only SS Ubertis that were sold in the US that I was aware of were the 5 models actually imported by Allen Firearms in 1982/83/84 time frame. They all had SS backstraps & trigger guards.

I'd love to see a picture of yours.

FM
    edited November -1
    This has stainless backstrap and trigger guard. I don't know how to read date stamped proofs if there are any. The proofs are faint.
    There may be a beat up box, but I forget.
    The gun came out of their Connecticut showroom.
    It's so long ago, I forgot what town it was but do remember being there.
    I think a woman was in charge.
    I will be going to NYC tomorrow for about two weeks. If I can figure how to post photos I'll do so when I return. Any particular views
    you need?
    edited November -1
    Date code will be two letters in a box. Here's a link that will decode proof marks, date codes and manufactures symbols: https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf

Any photos would be great.
  • bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a complete price list from Southwest Muzzle Loaders Supply from the 1970's of all revolvers manufactured by Uberti. In this list are 14 stainless steel revolver models. Whether all of these were ever actually produced is unknown. RPRCA has only one Uberti Stainless Steel revolver, distributed by Allen Arms, in its collection. I have never seen any others. Uberti did issue some revolvers "in the white". Sometimes these are mistaken for stainless. Any way you slice it these stainless steel revolvers are extremely rare and are highly collectable.
    edited November -1
    I was in contact with Colt when they started producing their Stainless series. When they wrote me (have the letter) they changed their minds about producing the Pocket Police, I contacted Uberti and bought their display model. 1983 may be about right because that's about when I bought a SS Colt Army and a Cased Colt blued 36 Pocket model set.
    Proof marks are under the barrel, on the cylinder, under the loading lever and on barrel and frame near the s/n.
    Proofs are largely polished out but mostly identifiable. There is encircled star, over PN, star over shield, polygon around square cut rifling and a square box framing an A and S or A and lower part of a 3.
    As I said, it came in a beat up box which I may still have.
    What might be its' value in exc condition?
    I'm headed out of town again for about a week.
    The contact email shown on this site is incorrect.
    It is 1flybob@comcast.net
    edited November -1
    The square box with an enclosed AS is the date code for 1987 - If it were AB, that would make it made in 1976 which kinda goes along with the price list BPrevolver has.

My Uberti SS 1851 Navy has the AI date code for 1982 on it.
    edited November -1
    Being this Uberti sounds as rare as a Walker Dragoon, will someone give me a realistic estimate of it's value?
  • JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Being this Uberti sounds as rare as a Walker Dragoon, will someone give me a realistic estimate of it's value?

Although it may be rare, a prototype, or whatever, there is not a large demand for Uberti products by COLLECTORS. Therefore I would GUESS that it would carry a modest premium over its blued and case colored cousin. DEMAND is the most important factor for valuation purposes, followed by rariety and then condition. Sounds like a neat revolver but I just don't see it bringing a big premium without a big DEMAND.

John
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking revolver. I have a Pietta that is simialr but they cheated; mine's a 6 shot and I think it's a little big

Cn you post a photo of your Uberti?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35

There were a pair of Uberti '62 Police models that were listed as being SS models that sold on {elsewhere} earlier this year. One of them was marked Uberti and had all the proofs on it. The other had no markings at all and had some cobbled together grips. The pair sold for under $600 IIRC. Rare and collectible doesnt always make something valuable. Dr. Jim Davis at RPRCA - also known as BPrevolver - would probably have the best idea of current value for yours.
    edited November -1
    Blairweescott, Not into posting photos but the 1862 Police is a miniaturized 1860 Colt Army on the 1849-.31 cal frame but in .36 caliber.
    I chronoghaphed velocities between the 5 1/2" Police and the larger 36 Navy , both with maximum full cylinders and the little Police revolver loses surprisingly little.