In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Custom Grip Panels for S.A. Revolvers

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
Trying to figure out who made the custom grips from my .44 Blackhawk. Unfortunately I'm not able to provide pictures yet, but maybe the following will help;
I found this stock maker in one of the major gun mags a few years back(maybe 5?); American Rifleman or Shooting Times, I think.
He did great work and the price was reasonable, but there is no identifying markings to be found. Panels are "squared" at the bottom; not beveled like the typical Colt or Rugers. (The grips form a flat oval at the bottom of the grip frame.) There is also a silver inlay on the right panel, about 13/16" long, where you could have your initials engraved. These grips are beautifully figured walnut, and well crafted, but other than the above, nothing distinguishes them from any other S.A. grips. I'd like to have this guy make some more for me. Does this description ring a bell with anyone?
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    It may have been Walt Marston. He makes incredible grips at a reasonable price. He made me a beautiful pair of stag grips for my Ruger New Model Vaquero. Check out his site to see if it rings a bell: http://www.gunfighter928.com/
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider,
    Not the same guy, but Marston looks like someone I should check out.
    Thanks,
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    He's a great guy and is happy to take phone calls. I erred when I said stag grips - I meant Elkhorn. He will even put the "blind side" on either side for you (I'm left-handed).

He personally hand-makes all of his grips and gives pretty fast service. My grips look similar to the ones below except my Vaquero is stainless. They're really beautiful. I asked him to polish off most of the bark so they look more like ivory.

Vaquero_stag_R.JPG