In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best inline for 400 bucks or less?

tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
I am looking to start hunting with an inline. I have hunted flintlock for nearly 20 years in PA, but we are only allowed the inline for a 3 day doe season. I am going to hunt ohio, where the inline is allowed, this year and would like some opinions on the best "deals" I guess I'll say in the inline world.
2nd part would be to ask if stainless and a thumbhole stock really makes as much differece in shooting as it does in the cost of the gun.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as for ease of cleaning in a low cost rifle, I have a knight rolling block and a Pursuit LT the knight is about $325-350 without scope and the pursuit and the pursuit lt go $225-250 and $250-299 only difference in pursuit and the lt model is barrell length and slightly fancier stock. The pursuit is easier to clean as it breaks down like a single shot shotgun. it is a good gun at a good price. Both will accept scopes and should be a gun you will be able to hit what you aim at. Just remember resale, around here is terrible only expect to get back maybe half if you don't like it and want to sell. I would suggest you go to a real gun shop and get a hands on feel of each rifle and buy what feels best that you can afford.
  • tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. FUnny you should mention the pursuit because I went to our Dick's today to look at a pursuit LT. They have the lt, thumbhole stock, nickle finish, w. treestand camo pattern and a mounted and bore sighted traditions 2-7 scope for 299 right now. I have heard a lot about TC and how their inlines perform, but I liked the pursuit and 299, with a scope, will be really tough to match! I have about 150 at most in any spot that I would sit in, with most shots coming well under 100. How does the pursuit pattern at 100 yards for you?
    edited November -1
    the best I can do is about a tennis ball size, thats more me than the gun, my son can keep them close to golf ball size with both the pursuit and the knight. A lot of people shoot 150 plus yards, I try not to go over 75-100 not because of the gun, I just know my limits. good luck with whichever you get. ps I'm still a black powder guy so they may shoot better with different powder, ect. this is still good enough for me guess i'm just old fashion. one more thing the pursuit I have will not use winchester primers they are just a hair longer than the cci and will bind when you try to lock the barrell back up.
  • tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank a bunch for the info. I will probably go with the pursuit as I just cannot afford to sink that much money into a new thompson. I will be sure to pick up the right primers.
    Thanks again!
    Tom
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thompson/Center Omega 50 is the only way to go for in-line muzzle loaders. I like stainless.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the TC Black Diamond.
  • rusty1rusty1 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF YOU COULD GET YOUR HANDS ON A H&R HUNTSMAN WITH SHOTGUN PRIMER YOU WOULD LIKE IT.
    RUSTY1
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a stainless Traditions Pursuit. I love it. Super accurate.
  • sniper762sniper762 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    remington 700ml stainless
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    T/C Omega ,

TC Black Diamond is pretty good too unless you put a scope or reddot on it then they're a pain to put the cap or primer on
  • kiawekonakiawekona Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot a number of rifles and the Knight Wolverine is as good a starter inline as I've found ... I use a Burris fixed 4X scope and accuracy is a golf ball sized , 3 shot group @ 100yds. Total cost was only $300. The whole set up probably only weighs 6#.
    edited November -1
    The T/C Omega is the only way to go!
    edited November -1
    That is what you said last year Andersk, that is loyalty!
    edited November -1
    at least he is consistant.[;)]
    edited November -1
    When I've found a great gun or gun product I am loyal! And for hunting it just can't be beat. The Omega 50 shoots better than I do. The only problem with the Omega 50 in cammo and stainless is that it does'nt look so much like a gun. That is where my Hawken comes in![;)]
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone mind if I recommend this one my Son has for sale?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone looking for a nice in-line? This one belongs to my Son, Please check it out My Shameless Plug.
    Thank You

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127832273
  • danjkolbdanjkolb Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to ask why no one mentions the encore pro hunter, but I think it may be over the budget for this thread
  • KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rusty1
    IF YOU COULD GET YOUR HANDS ON A H&R HUNTSMAN WITH SHOTGUN PRIMER YOU WOULD LIKE IT.
    RUSTY1

I second that! BTW, you can make a Huntsman, all you need is a NEF/HR receiver, they have the .50Cal Huntsman barrels available through the accessory barrel program.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Posted - 09/07/2008 : 7:23:16 PM

[:I] deja vu
    edited November -1
    all over again.[^]