In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fouling

Ruckin69Ruckin69 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
I have a Lyman flintlock which for some reason will not allow a second loading a shot without cleaning the bore.

Also in the past I have removed some rust from the bore. Do not know what caused that.

Amy suggestions>

Sage 1

Comments

• Ruckin69Ruckin69 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am getting getting really bad fouling in my Thompson and can't get more then one shot out without cleaning the barrel. When inquiring at my gunstore, they said to stop using the federal 209 primer and go with the T/C fusion primer. Same problem! I called Thompson and they said they had heard of that problem with triple seven and recommended Black Horn. I'm going to give that a try. Anyone have any suggestions?
    edited November -1
    I've also heard of this new stuff called White Hot. Any experience and is it out?
    edited November -1
    I've also had advise to bump it up to 150 grains of triple seven and go back to the Federal 209. I hope this works but need to try it at the range.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your measure of "really bad fouling?" Are you having difficulty ramming the bullet down anything but a clean barrel? Any BP or substitute is going to foul the barrel. Maybe your bullet diameter is a tad too large. Are you using a good BP lube? Are you seating the bullet far enough? BP needs to be compressed a bit. If it is not, the burn will not be efficient leaving more fouling.
    edited November -1
    I cannot get the sabot down to where the pellets sit after one shot. I am using shockwaves and putting some borebutter on them to get them lubed up and into position, but without any luck. I just send the pellets down without packing them and then push the sabot down to the knotch in the ramrod. Am I doing something wrong?
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try American Pioneer Powder or Jim Shockey's Gold (same company) as I find it leaves virtually no residue.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used a number of BP substitutes and have been using Hodgdon Triple Seven in my T/C Omega 50 for the past five years. And I've concluded that fouling is just part of the muzzle loader game. The right patch butter helps, but with Sabots I've found that a quick swabbing between shots is helpful. The "Triple 7 crud ring" is just a way of life, but I've learned to deal with it.

Also, I use a T/C "range rod" that has a good round handle on it, and I've found that helpful.

Out hunting I use the ram rod that came with my Omega 50, and I do find that it is a lot more difficult to properly seat the sabot. My "follow-up shot" is not too rapid. [V] The best thing is not to need a follow-up shot! [;)]
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the EXACT same problem. Tried smaller diameter balls and thinner patches but nothing helped until...I switched over to Pyrodex RS. Have done 30 shots straight with ti w/o any loading or fouling problems.