In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FFL Needed to buy Muzzleloaders?

Nite RyderNite Ryder Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
In an auction for a muzzleloading rifle on this sight, the seller,
gamemastersquincy, stated he would only ship to an FFL holder. When questioned by email he stated that was required by ATF. Have any of you heard of a new rulling? My ATF Reference Guide says muzzleloaders are exempt. Needless to say, I won't buy from this seller.

NR

Comments

• 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of rifle is it? Can you post a link to the auction?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the TC Encore you can change out barrels.
    You can have a muzzleloader barrel, or a modern centerfire barrel.
    So, the TC Encore receiver is considered a modern firearm, even if it has a muzzleloader barrel.
    There are several other muzzleloaders with interchangable barrels.
  • tnh2owadertnh2owader Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nite Ryder, Allen is correct. The reason is due to
    the interchangable barrels.[^]
  • tbird48453tbird48453 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Michigan they clasify a "pistol" as a pistol no matter what now a days. From BP, to centerfire to "antique", they want them all registered per my past buying experience the last year or so - the Sheriffs office is a bummer sometimes. Just can't keep their noses outta it LOL. My .02
  • bprevolverbprevolver Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both bought and sold black powder revolvers to residents of Michigan and have never heard of any law there that requires an FFL.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tbird48453
    Here in Michigan they clasify a "pistol" as a pistol no matter what now a days. From BP, to centerfire to "antique", they want them all registered per my past buying experience the last year or so - the Sheriffs office is a bummer sometimes. Just can't keep their noses outta it LOL. My .02

I'd say your County Mountie is writing his own laws. There is a muzzle loader shop in Michiagan who sells a lot of product on this website and doesn't require anything more than proof of age.
  • FireronFireron Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ironically you need an FFL only for the original gun. I have bought four different caliber barrels for my TC Encore and no FFL was required for them.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's right. You can buy a 30-06 barrel for the Encore, it is about the same as buying a broomstick, not regulated by federal law.
    Only that receiver is regulated.
  • mtnman31mtnman31 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on your state's laws. Most states treat them as antiques and require nothing other than you be 18 years old. Other states have more strict controls over them. Check the laws through your state's Department of Justice. I'd recommend not asking your local gun dealer or LEO unless you completely trust them. My personal experience has been that they can be just as uninformed about gun laws as any other Joe off the street.