In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mainspring for Flint gun

stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
I have a Dixie GW "Lancaster" flintlock that I built around 1978. The mainspring somehow broke. The kit was Italian. Does anyone know if a direct replacement could be obtained before I go and modify the lock? I tried Dixie and they don't list the mainspring for this lock, just some other parts.
Thanks, Stan

Comments

• rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Pedersoli's web site, they have all kinds of replacement locks and parts.[;)]
  • mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dixie has two replacement springs that might work for you. One, the #TP0608, measures 2 1/2" from the tip of the claw to the bend. The pin or tit that anchors it to the lockplate is likely in the wrong position. You could drill a new hole in your lockplate, then either weld or plug the old hole shut, polish the area of the plug, then brown or blue as necessary for an almost invisible repair.

#TS0703 has an oversized pin, which can be reduced in size and in the process located in the correct position for your lock -- I use one of the heavier-grade cutting wheels with a Dremel tool for this task, being careful not to overheat the spring. The drawback to this spring is that it's 2 3/4" long from claw to bend, and might not fit your lockplate with room for the forward lock bolt.

I have a number of Dixie springs in my shop -- pick them up whenever I run across them at flea markets and such. If you were to send a very close tracing of your spring, so I could clearly tell its size and the position of the pin, I might have something to match. In that case I'd let you have it for maybe a couple of dollars over the cost of postage.

Hope this is of some help to you.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Much obliged guys.
    This is a lot of help.
    Stan