In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comparisons

amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
What do you think about the various Italian made pistols?

I'm asking about the revolvers as well as the singles.

The actions of the Piettas always seem so smooth to me while the Ubertis seem to hold together better. Those old ASMs seem to just keep on giving as well.
I think for the most psrt, all of them are fairly well made.

Got any preferences or recommendations of your own?

Comments

• anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen, handled and even shot the Uberti revolver that guys around here like for cowboy shoots. They were the fully engraved ones! A friend was just checking them after giving them to full trick out job. The are BEAUTIFUL revolvers and super balanced and once tricked out they are smooooootheee![:D]
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I currently own four of the Italian clones, two Ubertis and two Armi San Marcos models. I like them all and they all work just fine but IMO the Ubertis are just a tad nicer.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    What do you think about those Colts?
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Colts' parts are made by Italian manufacturers, then assembled in the U.S. Their fit and finish are somewhat nicer than the ones assembled in Italy, which is partly reflected in the price. The remainder of the price differential is largely due to the Colt name on the revolver.
    Uberti makes the best-buy cap and ball revolvers. If you have the choice, this brand is the one to get.
    Pietta's quality is pretty good and they offer a number of models unavailable elsewhere (though their Starr repros have functioning problems). In the past, Piettas were significantly inferior to Ubertis, but recent examples indicate the newer ones are pretty darn good. I have a Pietta 1860 that I like very well (though not as well as my Uberti 1860!).
    Back in the '80's ASM's made good paperweights, but shooting was problematic. As I haven't fired recent ASM's, I can't say how good the current crop is, but I've read (postings from owners) that their new guns are much better quality.
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife shoots a pair of Uberti .38 specials in the stallion model... Nice shooting guns.