In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Old Army & Pyrodex pellets

sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
Hornady .457 lead ball
44/45 cal. 30 grain volume equivalent Pyrodex pellet
Ox-Yoke .44/.45 cal. Wonder Wad
CCI no. 11 magnum cap

Can't find any thing on this combo.
Looks to me like it should be OK ??

I'm giving a friend a like new Old Army and was going to send this loading along with it.

What do you think ??

Comments

• Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    It should be fine though I have heard that people have had sub performance using pellets including misfires.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the pellets in an Italian copy .44 caliber cap and ball. I didn't notice any difference in how it shot but I have heard folks caution about cruching the pellets when you seat the balls. On a Ruger I don't see any problem but I am not speaking from experience on that particular firearm.

Bode
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried that exact load in my ROA but every 1/10 or so she'll hang fire. I even went as far as to track the cylinder thinking I had a dirty nipple but it seemed to move around. I think its was probably the caps more than anything. although I have never had a hangfire while loading loose pyrodex and i have used the same lot of caps for both.