In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting started in cowboy action shooting part II

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanks for all the info on my previous post,My tentative plans are as follows,(all comments welcome). I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag, i thought I"d hunt up another. Load to about 44 special performance . Marlin (or european copy) lever action in same caliber .20"barrel coach gun (will 20 gauge do or do I need a 12??)
does this sound sensible?? other reccomendations welcome

Comments

• Options
    Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do, red'.

Your idea sounds good. Just FYI, the adjustable sights on the revolvers will place you in the "Modern" category, which is fine. And as for loads, the 44 Special is one of the finest cartridges one can use in CAS...it's accurate and mild shooting. It's economical because it doesn't use a whole lot of powder, and since you have revolvers with adjustable sights, you can load whatever weight bullets you like and won't run into any problem getting them to shoot to POA.

A recommendation on the rifle and scattergun; go ahead and attend a shoot, introduce yourself around, explain that you're trying to decide on your long guns, and try a couple different ones to see what fits you best. Trust me...there are almost always folks who are more than happy to let you try their guns. You may find the Marlin isn't to your liking but a Model 66 shoulders like it is made for you. The 92's are extremely popular and if you like that gun, I suggest looking at the EMF version. It is a great value and they can be slicked up with little effort or money. Maybe you'll like the 20" barrel for the speed or prefer the 24" for the stability it offers. As for shotguns, I like the 12 due to the versatility, but a 20 will serve you fine. Again, try a couple different shotguns if you can. You may have a strong preference for a straight grip vs. a pistol grip, or 28 inch barrels vs. 20 inch.

As for leather, several inexpensive lines are available. Hunter and Oklahoma are priced for the newbie, and will last plenty long enough for you to decide whether the sport is for you. (I have some Hunter that is 10 years old and still looks pretty good.) Since I outfit both my wife and myself, I have taken to making my own leather goods, which is not nearly as hard as it seems. I can make gear comparable to stuff that retails for $350 for around $40 worth of leather, dye, and hardware. The tools cost under $60, so the savings really add up.

My wife and I are involved in CAS organizations on both a state and local level, and we've been doing this for better than ten years. If you have any questions you can feel free to e-mail me.

[:D]
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cna't quote chapter and verse but I'm not sure Supers are allowed in cas.Regular B.hawks are though.They will limit the catagories you can elect to shoot in because of the adjustable sights.
    Most folks shoot 12 guage,but 20's will get the job done.IF ya forget ur ammo at home..dont ask me how I know this...it's a bit more easier to borrow a box of 12's than 20's.
    Short barreled coach guns are kewl!!