In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.38 vs .357 Cowboy Loads

mcgiivermcgiiver Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I have been trying to work up a light cowboy action load. I have settled on 2.5 grains of PB with 125 truncated cone lead bullets. Shooting them in Beretta Stampede revolvers. I find that the same load in the .38 cases seems to produce tighter groups than in the .357 case. Any ideas why and has anyone had similar results?

Comments

• PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is that the powder (which I am not familiar with) is position sensitive.
    Pete
  • R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what PB is either, but the primary issue is pressures.

With the same powder weight in a larger case, you've increased the air gap between the powder and the base of bullet. Stick with the 38 cases and you will be fine. A lot of shooters will use Grits to fill the case when using a small powder charge in a large case, but that shouldn't be necessary with 38/357.

I had the same problem before switching to 777 in my 45LC loads. Back then, I was using 5.5gr of Clays/180gr pill, and they were erratic to say the least. The minute I started using a full case of powder and a 200gr pill, my accuracy and consistency improved 150%!
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Try Trail Boss powder. It is very bulky and works well for light loads.
  • mcgiivermcgiiver Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by R D Henry
    I don't know what PB is either, but the primary issue is pressures.

PB is DuPont PB, which is a fast burning powder originally designed for shotgun loads. I have heard that it might have been used as the original .357 powder.
    edited November -1
    Since it was manufactured by Dupont, is it still out there under the name PB? If I remember the food chain correctly, Dupont was sold to IMR, which in turn went to Hodgdon. Follow the bread crumbs here! [:D]

Anywho, there's a ton of shotgun powders that have pistol/rifle applications. Clays being one of them that I've played with over the years. A lot of CAS shooters like it for easy cleanup, burn rate, so on. You can check here for load data http://www.hodgdon.com/ They have a section devoted to Cowboy Action loads.

I've heard good things about Trail Boss, mainly that it was developed for the larger cases like 44, 44-40, 45, etc. It's a large flake powder that looks like a little doughnut...seriously!
  • longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please tell me why you are loading BP. With all the new and very fine powders there to load with . You may only want to hobby shoot but if you want to find and enjoy the potential of a hand gun use smokeless powder .You can load Light loads for plinking and hull horse loads for hunting . Give them a try.
    edited November -1
    Longbow, was that aimed at me, as far as loading BP?

I'm not flaming ya here, just answering the question. I shoot BP just cuz it's a helluva lot of fun! [:)] When I first got into CAS, I shot smokeless in many varieties.

I've probably tried every concoction known to man in order to achieve what I wanted with 45LC. Everybody and their brother shoots in a wide variety of classes with smokeless, but a few of us maniacs like the big boom and clouds of smoke that make everybody gag and choke! [:D] It's what we live for! [:p]

The way the "Soot Lords" see it...smokeless is just a fad! [:D]
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by R D Henry
    The way the "Soot Lords" see it...smokeless is just a fad! [:D]

Hear, hear!